Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 06-11-2007 , 09:44 PM
Thanks guys,

The environment, yeah got an idea, it was a pretty simple decision as the arena is shown pretty well in the games.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 07-11-2007 , 12:07 AM
Made a start on the torso, think that i'll get the rest of his body down in basic form before adjusting the proportions, then give it a bit of a sculpt in Zbrush before bringing it back into maya.

I'm not going for uber detailed, just getting the overall shapes/proportions down as most of it will be covered with the rest of his armour.

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 07-11-2007 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber
Oldschool games ftw! I admit I've never played this game, but it reminds me a bit of Tron.

It's looking good so far, but I think everything looks too squishy. Using polysmooth is great for rounding out forms, but you can't let it do all the work for you, You need some thickness to those parts and hard edges here and there, otherwise it's not going to be convincing. (I'm mostly talking about the helmet)

Also, some parts of the head are anatomically incorrect if you're going for realism. Such as the thickness of the lips and crease around them and the height of the eyes.

It's coming along really well though - and so soon too! Looking forward to see where you take this, man

# 19 07-11-2007 , 04:42 AM
Cheers Funkey, to be honest I'm not too happy with the helmet, think i'm going to "flesh" out the forms of everything else for him before going back and adding all the spit an polish to sharpen the lot up.

I just feel that If I keep concentrating on one thing i'll stop on that and not get the rest done.

The eyes, do you think there too high on the head? Also the crease in the lips is done with the crease poly edge tool, so its just a tweek to change it. and I probably will do compating it with some ref's.

Im thinking of going slightly out there with regards to proportions, you know a bit OTT but i'd like the the head to look pretty decent.

# 20 07-11-2007 , 08:43 AM
nice going steve user added image
speedball and speedball2 were fantastic games - played them to death and then some! 'ice cream ice cream'

I like the helmet design but it looks a bit too stuck real tight to his head. If you added a little spacing then it would heighten the head a little and sit better.
The elements down the back of the neck are looking cool

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 21 08-11-2007 , 12:50 AM
Cheers Si

Well nearly done the body, i'll adjust the proportions etc later, got most bits blocked in.

Cheers

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 10-11-2007 , 10:39 AM
Gee gster.. are your arms that small?? Must be all the maya work ahah

You can use a ref of my arms if you like hahah jokings.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 23 10-11-2007 , 10:51 AM
haha Louis!

I'll give him some bulk in Zbrush when I get some free time!

# 24 10-11-2007 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
I'd suggest going in and adjusting the proportions at this point (or before in your next projects) It's one thing to make things look good by themselves, but they really need to mesh together correctly to give you something desirable. This can become difficult when you have really refined bits. Also, use more refs, there's no shame in using them - in fact it's usually the smart thing to do. Anyway, at this point it shouldn't be too hard to adjust the anatomy and proportions, so I'd do it soon.

lookin' forward to updates, man

# 25 10-11-2007 , 12:06 PM
ahah thats more like it!!

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 26 10-11-2007 , 01:36 PM
Yeah Funkey, thats the plan i've got quite a bit of ref that i'll use to sort him out proportion wise so, i'll sort that out before going onto anything, just need to get the time!!

# 27 13-11-2007 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
yea i agree with funky other then that it looks like it coming togeather nicely.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 28 26-11-2007 , 03:47 PM
Had a fiddle with the proportions, started some armour design on him.

I was going for a "smooth" look to it but dunno as yet if I should sharpen the edges a bit more?

I think that the ofre arm and the lower leg/boot areas goign to be sharper so to speak.

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 27-11-2007 , 07:23 AM
Looking good so far gster user added image keep it comin.

# 30 27-11-2007 , 02:11 PM
yeah - nice job gster. just not sure about the chest piece - like the idea with the indented bits, i just think that the whole piece is sticking out too much and they curve too much up to the armpit. this is coming along nice though