Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-11-2007 , 06:40 AM

Swil - Winter Challenge

Hi everybody,

I've been admiring everybody's work a long time in the various challenges and I'm not sure if I'm going to be even a start of a match. I'm a total noob when it comes to modelling, have little time, but thought this challenge is so much fun and gives plenty of time that I'm going to give it a try.

I'm not an artist so I'm not going to try to sketch a concept, but this is the idea: the sports I'm going to focus on is golf. The players are a bit unusual though. I want to model the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland as the player. A hedgehog is going to take the ball-role.

So, plenty of modelling and texturing challenges and also some fun animation possibilities. I'm not sure if I even can do this, but hey, no guts, no glory !

Good luck everybody !

# 2 05-11-2007 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
You definitely got the right attitude Swil. Plus we all are here to help you with whatever problem you may face.
I think your idea is cool, I can almost imagine the expression on that rabbit's face when the hedgehog deliberately miss the hole on a birdie. But, instead of that rabbit can you use that rabbit from Foster's home for imaginary friends. What do you think? user added image
I Know you will have fun doing this Challenge, don't get discouraged. Just do your best and use what ever knowledge you have. I promise you, you will learn ALOT more along the way.

# 3 06-11-2007 , 04:07 AM
Hi RockyMills - this Mr. Herriman from imaginary friend looks like a cool figure. I'm downloading some episodes to get a feel for the character. Definitely like his outfit. Perhaps I'll do a hibrid on the two.

Good luck with your stadium concept. Sounds great. Looking forward to see some first results.

# 4 06-11-2007 , 08:47 AM
OK, here's my first attempt for the main character: the Alice in Wonderland white rabbit or Mr. Herriman - it can go either way.

Still a lot of work to be done. It's the basic shape and I want to get it more fun-looking. Basic posing to be done as well.

Anyway, it's a start. I'm open to C&C.

Attached Images
# 5 11-11-2007 , 05:45 PM
Found some time to add more detail.

Let me know what you think

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 11-11-2007 , 06:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
pretty cool! His chin seems a bit odd at the moment

# 7 12-11-2007 , 07:53 AM
Yeah, I know. I used attached picture to do the base modelling, but now I'm starting to think about switching to a more cartoon style approach. What do you think ?

Attached Images
# 8 12-11-2007 , 11:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Very nice work for a noob Swil! user added image You will go far in this comp if you keep at it!

# 9 13-11-2007 , 05:48 AM
Thanks THX1138 - unexpectedly I now have more time for a while, so with the long duration of this competition I'll go for it. Still a lot of discovering to do for me, though

# 10 14-11-2007 , 02:07 PM
OK, I added some more detail on which I want to do some texturing experiments. New chapter for me, so we'll see what's going to happen.

Not sure yet if I want to do cloth or not user added image

Open to feedback guys !

Attached Images
# 11 16-11-2007 , 01:31 PM
I decided to go for the cloth-thing to dress up my main character. Created the jacket. I have to say it was quite a discovery-tour to figure out how the texturing mechanism works, but I'm pretty happy with the result :attn: .
Still needs some tweaking here and there.

C&C please.

Attached Images

Last edited by Swil; 19-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.
# 12 17-11-2007 , 08:59 AM
Put some color on the shoes user added image

Now have to start working on texturing the body. Not sure how to do that user added image

Attached Images
# 13 19-11-2007 , 05:56 PM
I created the first version of the hedgehog. Need to get some prickles on the the little guy user added image

Attached Images
# 14 19-11-2007 , 09:12 PM
nice work there swil user added image the texture on the jacket looks good.

# 15 20-11-2007 , 07:44 PM
Thanks s2-speedy ! In the mean time I have put the jacket on the rabbit. I'm now experimenting with toon-shading on the rabbit. I'm starting to get an idea how the final thing should look like. Perhaps I'll do a full animation - if that's allowed. Not sure if I will have the time though :p