Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-01-2008 , 07:10 AM
Subscriber

:: vector render - invisible color

ok here's my issue put simply:

i'm making a game. and want to render the characters garment and body seperately so that in flash, i can have the garment change hue (color) without effecting the rest of the body.

i need to know how to render my dude from maya, making the garment invisible. i can do this, my only problem is that when i do, objects behind appear where the garment should be, which i don't want.

i've shown a simple image below. left is the full character, middle is what i get so far, right is what i want.

in a way, i want the garb area to absorb anything that would appear behind it. my only means of doing what i want at the moment is doing full body renders and manually (in flash) deleting the red areas, which means if i continue to do it this way, i must manually chop up over 4,600 frames...

please help!!!

user added image

NOTE: HUGE thanks to kurt for your massively AWESOME low polly man DVD's, i would not have been able to rig/animate my dude without them!!

# 2 01-01-2008 , 07:33 AM
Hi Josiah

What you proabaly want to do is select the material that you want to be see through and in the material attributes in the make it inot a black hole in the matte opacity section.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 01-01-2008 , 08:01 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123

What you proabaly want to do is select the material that you want to be see through and in the material attributes in the make it inot a black hole in the matte opacity section.

ok, i changed the matte opacity to black hole. this is all i get in a render. any other ideas? (ignore the now brown gloves and boots. thats purely nothing to do with the tabard user added image)

user added image

# 4 01-01-2008 , 08:33 AM
If you render the suit now on a sepperate layer you can compoaitie the layers together so that the suits over the top of the black, then adjust the hue.

Or have I got it wrong what you are asking?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 01-01-2008 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
If you render the suit now on a sepperate layer you can compoaitie the layers together so that the suits over the top of the black, then adjust the hue.

Or have I got it wrong what you are asking?

all i want is to know how to render into .swf vector, with a certain color/area to be completely invisible, with the bojects behind it invisible also.

once i know how to do this i hope to apply it again to every part of the knight OTHER THEN the tabbard, therefore i can import both files into flash and have the colored tabbard on a seperate layer to change colors of.

# 6 01-01-2008 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
BUMP
sorry, but this is urgent. i can't go on with my day job unless i know how to do this user added image

# 7 01-01-2008 , 07:21 PM
Not sure what it is that you mean; if it was invisible, you'd see the sword behind it but you don't want that - what should you see in it's place? Just white like in the image you show, or would you see the scenery behind him?

# 8 01-01-2008 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gubar
Not sure what it is that you mean; if it was invisible, you'd see the sword behind it but you don't want that - what should you see in it's place? Just white like in the image you show, or would you see the scenery behind him?

you would see the scenery behind him

i want his torso/tabbard bit to be invisible/see through, without showing the insides/backfaces/HIM through where his torso was.

make any sense yet?

# 9 14-01-2008 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
bump, sorry guys this is URGENT

# 10 15-01-2008 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber
sorry guys this is:

REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!

if someone can help me i'd be really grateful, i'm rendering another character and splitting the parts manually takes AGES...

again, i need to know how to render only one of the colors OUT of the render, without 'itself' appearing behind where the color is. view my previous posts in this thread for more info

# 11 15-01-2008 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber
Hey Josiah, dont know if this is any help ...

But cant you just render the garment completely white with the rest of the scene, then render the garment by itself which ever colour you want then go into a program and combine the to layers?

Sorry if this makes no sense, i havnt really slept in 40ish hours :headbang:

# 12 15-01-2008 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
the issue is two things though.

1 - if i make it white, i'll still have to manually delete it in flash, and it'll still have an outline

2 - if i make it transparent, bits of the inside of himself will appear on the other side.

shouldnt this be a really simple thing??? *sigh*

# 13 15-01-2008 , 05:50 PM
Subscriber
lol how many times do i gotta bump to get an answer

IM GOING INSANE lol