Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-05-2009 , 11:28 PM

Crash lost scene data?

Hi. Maya 8.5 on Precision 690, OS: XP Pro, 4 gig RAM

I have been working on a scene and saving it frequently. The scene just crashed and when I restarted Maya and opened the scene there is a great deal of data missing from the last save. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet backed up the more recently saved version of the scene to my external back up drive.

what's missing are several poly meshes, a folder and all it's contents as well as the shader I had been using.

Is there any way to recover this data? Is it hidden somewhere?

T

# 2 13-05-2009 , 03:21 AM
First unless you have a 64-bit version of XP you will not see more then 2GB of that 4GB of memory. With the /3GB switch you might get 2.5+ GB (If your computer is running down hill with the wind at its back).

Second, maya crashes (as far as I know) do not save any associated folders and really should not cause any folders to go missing.

Sometimes maya will attempt to save a copy of the scene file in Documents and Setting\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Temp. Look for *.mb or *.ma.

But this is the extent of it. I don't believe it will make any effort to backup folders with content being used. This sounds more like a hard drive failure than something a maya crash would cause.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 13-05-2009 , 03:45 AM
thank you. It is strange. I can't find any other evidence of any problems with any other file, folder or program, including other Maya scenes I had in my hard drive.

Maya is working fine except for that one incident.

Waiting for Windows 7 this December before I go through the hassle of installing the new OS.

T

# 4 13-05-2009 , 08:32 AM
No problem sorry you lost your data. I know how heart wrenching that can be. I recently had a drive in my two drive project stripe go bad and lost pretty much everything I have done in Maya for the last 3 years.

I find bits and pieces of stuff I had tucked away on usb sticks and stuff but pretty much have lost 90% of my work.

I will NEVER stripe drives again unless they are mirrored.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 13-05-2009 , 04:26 PM
That's really horrific!! What a terrible loss.

Computer art is a wonderful medium but there's also a whole dimension of vulnerability to that art that really can be catastrophic.

I print CD ROMs of anything I create, but only once it's completed, just as an extra back up. One can't be careful enough.

Thanks for your help.

best, T