Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-05-2009 , 04:55 PM

constraint confusion!

Hey all, how goes?

In Maya 2009 Unlimited I've built my polygon biped character, given him joints and orientated them all, given him IK handles and now am merely trying to make a couple of foot controllers. I have got one working normally for the character's left foot, but I can't seem to get the right foot controller to stop shifting the leg position every time I hit the Point or Orient constrain menu. Seems like even if I freeze the transformations on the controller it still sends the leg shooting over somewhere. I've tried adding negative values to those which the leg moves to the controller, but it isn't really ideal and the motion seems to be juddery when I do that. Why would it work on one side of the Z axis and not the other? Has anyone come across this before?

Best respects, Stretch.

vay kind of you.
# 2 19-05-2009 , 05:06 PM

Oh.....and....

I've been using a circle curve instead of creating my own shape. Is that why perhaps?

S

vay kind of you.
# 3 19-05-2009 , 08:28 PM

....+...

....if I create a curves Nurbs circle on the grid, don't move it anywhere and then immediately constrain it to the foot group, it works. WHy can't I make the circle and move it before constraining it?

s

vay kind of you.
# 4 20-05-2009 , 02:10 AM

Re: ....+...

Originally posted by stretchandgrim
....if I create a curves Nurbs circle on the grid, don't move it anywhere and then immediately constrain it to the foot group, it works. WHy can't I make the circle and move it before constraining it?

s

Because all the transformations are set to 0. You should be able to move the circle to where you need it to be, than freeze the transformations of the circle, than constrain your group to it. That should prevent your leg from shooting out in an odd direction.

If you're already doing that though, I'm not sure what to suggest.