Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-02-2011 , 07:18 PM

Wing Gundam Zero (WIP)

Well, as promised, here is my Wing Gundam Zero. Pretty satisfied overall with my limited experience in Maya (a few months). Some of the modeling is with polygons, will some are done using the create polygon tool (so its not entirely closed, not too sure if it's a good thing). I've been working on this for only a couple of weeks, a few hours each day, since I'm busy with both my own school projects and my job as well. I'm not happy with some of the pieces and will be looking to redo them as some have multiple sided faces. But of course, it's a WIP so I have time to change things user added image.

Obviously feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-02-2011 , 09:27 PM
I know what Gundam is but havent seen it in years. I would say it is a good start but maybe show a wire to see how the mesh flows. And i would try to keep everything as quads.

But i do like the feet, very clean and simple, which more often than not is a good thing.

Is there any part you are having a majority of your problems with?

# 3 03-02-2011 , 09:39 PM
Lifetime Member
I agree with TD..I was going to say exactly the same thing...a wire frame so we can have a look see mate. Looking good...I dont remember half the characters from TV...getting old I think..or inundated with bloody Ben 10 from my son LOL. you went from the torso to the feet?? any reason...or just boredom like me?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 04-02-2011 , 01:36 AM
@ twisteddragon33: Yeah, I was planning to show the wire frame but is there a way to show it via Maya other than a screenshot pic? As for a part I'm having problems with, I don't know how I'll proceed with the head.

@ bullet1968: Well, trying to remember all the characters is going to be hard (with all the different times and types of Gundams/Mobile Suits. As for the feet, I started with them since I got stuff trying to figure out the head and in a way, I'm new to this so I try going for the "easier" parts user added image.

# 5 04-02-2011 , 03:53 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL fair enough...easy parts first. LOL I meant trying to remember ANY cartoon characters from my youth mate...@ 43yo my head is well and truly filled with the wonders of construction...roads...pipes...bridges...math...so I havent much room left...ceptin for Scooby Doo....oh and Starblazers...now that was a cartoon...yeh...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes