Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-02-2011 , 02:37 AM
Lifetime Member

Mental ray object ignored error???

Ok guys,

I am trying to render in MR...now I have deleted this geo 256 which MR said had holes in smooth proxy. Exported as an .ma then imported into a new scene...just in case of corruption. Now, when I go to render again...it gives me the same error as the original file!! I have looked in the outliner and typed the geo into the editor...the editor says it cant fiind this geo???? well MR says its there...the edotior doesnt. Confused

// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : corrupted2:polySurfaceShape256: holes in a smooth proxy are unsupported, try triangulating the proxy before rendering; object ignored //

I CANNOT locate this geo....user added imageuser added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 25-02-2011 , 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Could you post the file?

- Genny
# 3 25-02-2011 , 10:49 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 26-02-2011 , 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah you guess it. It's your boat name geometry user added image. Apparently the MR approx node you assigned to it doesn't like it very much, my guess is the gaps between the letters are throwing it off. Also I don't think that piece of geo needs it as 1. its not built for smoothing and 2. It's pretty smooth looking as is.... so I unassigned it and the problem went away. I even triangulated the mesh as the error suggested and the problem went away.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 26-02-2011 , 02:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Well thanks Genny...that has me buggered because I do NOT remember assigning an approximation node to it??? WTF? LOL...I have deleted it...but when I turn the rest on the MR shits itself again...I think my lappy has its limit LOL. I REALLY have to get a better rig...the trouble is Im hardly at home and having a bloody rig sitting there isnt sitting well. LOZ is building me a case...so I will have to wait for that I suppose...and do it anyways.

Thanks again Gen...If I can get it to render I will be happy now LOL

bullet1968