Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-07-2003 , 10:01 PM

Renault Clio WIP

Hello there. Been away with college semester and exams but I'm back. Trying to model my beloved Renault Clio with polygon tools. I've made my first iteration on the mesh and now I'm having a little problem: imagine I want to add details to the back of the car. Since the faces of the front are showing, the view gets crowded with edges I don't currently want to see. My idea is to hide some front faces but when I do that the whole object disappears. Suggestions? I know I can extract the faces and hide them since they then become a separate object but I'm sure there must be a better way to achieve what I want...

P.S. -> the blueprints I got don't fit perfectly so don't mind the apparent disalignment. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 2 16-07-2003 , 10:30 PM
This was answered in IRC by me and Santa, but, I'll repeat for the benefit of others.

You can change the poly display by going to Display > Custom Polygon Display options box. At the bottom of that dialog box, you can turn on Backculling and change various options. Play around to get what you need.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 17-07-2003 , 12:11 AM
Thanks. Your solution worked. user added image
An update to my model...

Attached Thumbnails

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 4 17-07-2003 , 09:42 AM
My little car is developing fine, I think. Here you can see the already subdivision surfaced version. Moving on to details like the Renault logo, tires, materials and lighting...

Attached Thumbnails

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 5 17-07-2003 , 09:55 AM
I'm having a really dumb problem. I'm doing the tire with subdivision surfaces and I've already made some simple materials to assign to them. Problem is that when I try to do the normal right-click on the object I want to assign a material, the option Materials doesn't show those I've done.
I tried to dodge the problem by activating polygon mode, choosing the faces and assign to them, but that results in maya filling the polygon proxy, not the subdivisions it represents.
What am I doing wrong?
(here you can see the actual tire design)

Attached Images

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 6 17-07-2003 , 11:55 AM
I must have ruined the subdiv of the tire... I converted it to polygons and moved on user added image Here are 2 renders. I am really happy with the result! (I know it's 1024x768, I hope you don't mind since they're saved for web in photoshop so only occupy 50kb each).

Attached Thumbnails

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 7 17-07-2003 , 11:58 AM
Here's the second one... The shadows suck... I think there's a parameter where one can blur the shadow more but couldn't find it yet.

Attached Thumbnails

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 8 18-07-2003 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
You have to increase the depth map resolution, which i odn't know how to do.....lol....but i'll bump you're thread and someone will help ya with that.

Whats up with you're weird Cell shaded look on you're cars material? Its weird, i think a blinn might look much better. Unless you wanted it to look "Drawn".

oh and BTW, you're tires appear to be either shiny or reflective = P

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 9 18-07-2003 , 05:55 AM
I my god, I drove one of these for years back in Europe, before moving to the States! They are so cute! Oh man, the memories...

Sy
# 10 18-07-2003 , 12:03 PM
The appearance is on purpose. The car painting is a reflective phong shader. The catch here is a huge white plane as ceiling. Since reflections are on one gets this cool effect. Seems like those concept car drawings, doesn't it? user added image

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 11 18-07-2003 , 12:44 PM
yeah I quite like the look of the render. It's different to the rest of the car WIPS that have been appearing recently user added image

good job

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 12 19-07-2003 , 03:05 AM
Wow thanks! Been catching up with the forum and I just saw the '3 person Car Animation Collaboration' thread. My attempt of car is nothing compared to their efforts. But then again, I'm just starting user added image
Thinking of maybe do a little animation with the car, but I first gotta do a cool rigging for the suspension and the like... We'll see.

mayan@netcabo.pt