Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-08-2005 , 01:03 PM

maya for freelance?

hey im new to maya. i think its the most powerful and comprehensive animation prog on the market. but does it make sense learning if im gonna pay a butload for it just to do freelance work? what advice you guys have? ne other progs that yall use for freelance? legal stuff im talkin about not cracks. what do most of you learn maya for? are you workin for big firm? single user? or just hobby?

the prepared shall inherit the future
# 2 25-08-2005 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
That is entirely up to you... you need to decide if you're going to pick up enough 3D work to justify the cost. If you just want to dabble in modeling there are cheaper (even free) alternatives.

I'm primarily a hobbist, although I do get to use Maya occassionaly at work. I'm a graphic artist in the U.S. Navy.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 25-08-2005 , 07:38 PM
cool.....artist in navy!!! neways u kinda answer me. but i want to know of alternate animation progs that utilize dynamics and fluids and riggin and particles. could be plug-in too. HELP ME!!!

the prepared shall inherit the future
# 4 26-08-2005 , 04:19 AM
3DS Max and Lightwave are very popular also Softimage and Blender is a free one.

My advice get the demo's or PLE in maya's case and try some tuts to see which one works best for you.

Regardless of cost you want a program you feel comfortable with or feel comfortable learning. Also note you should develope an online presence in forums such as this one ask the same questions.

I started using max but found moving around in it kind of awkward maya took me about 20 seconds to realise using it just felt more comfortable the huge amount of buttons was still confusing but I generally regarded it as feeling more professional and intuitive.

Oh and always get blender it's free and your able to produce stuff and sell it commercially so why the hell not!

Adam