Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-08-2005 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber

some simple questions about maya

hi everyone im new to maya and im having trouble figuring out some simple things in the software. if any of you can help me out with any of these queris it'll really help me make a movie i've always wanted to accomplish.

1)how do u make the mouse cursor snap to the grid when u move it around?
2)how do you add a texture to an object?
3)i placed two walls[thin long rectangles] against each other to create a corner but they dont match nicely at the corner. is there a way to maybe trim one of the extended edges or extend one of them to get a nice clean corner?
4)finally how do u add a custom background to some animation you are doing?

thanks for your help

# 2 24-08-2005 , 09:29 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Here:

1)Do u mean move something to the grid line? Press X while moving something.
2)Add a material to the object. Ex: Lambert. Go to the small checker box next to color (this option is in the attribute editor). Press it and select something there. If u selected File, search for 1 in your PC.
3)Sure. Make them touch each other and then use Nurbs or Polygons Booleans (depends on what u are using: NURBS or Polygons) to do this. Search for 'em in Edit Nurbs menu or in the Polygons Menu.
4) First, create a camera. Search for a checker button in a tab called "background" and follow step 2 .

Hope this helps!!

Philipuser added image

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 3 24-08-2005 , 09:39 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Oh, next time u have a question, put it in the Maya Basics & Newbie Forum.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

# 4 25-08-2005 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
thanks man it helped a lot.
but i missed what u said on applying your custom pictures or textures on polys. i couldnt find the file icon on the attributes editor to import my own pictures. if u could send a screenshot of where it might be it'd be nice.

tks

# 5 25-08-2005 , 09:22 PM
Here it is:

U press where it its black first. Then, u go to the red place that im showin' up. There u can browse ur custom texture.

Hope this helps now:attn: :attn: !!

Attached Thumbnails

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

# 6 26-08-2005 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
how the hell did i not c that.

tks for ur help

# 7 26-08-2005 , 12:06 AM
As for combining two planes -- I'd recommend right clicking on you model, and left-clicking on "vertex" in the command-rose which pops up.

Select the move tool
Select the vertex (corner) you wish to move
Hold "V"
Grab the vertex and pull -- it will snap to the nearest vertex you drag it over.
After you're done, I'd recommend selecting each corner and clicking "merge verticies" from the "edit polygon" menu... that will increase performance in rendering/in a game.