Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-11-2002 , 04:28 AM

Hey Everyone, i'm new to this, any suggestions

I just started learning Maya three days ago, I can model most geometric figures, put them into motion, make them "jiggle" heh.

But what do I do next? Learn texture, layers, animation?

I'm new to this forum so if this question has already been asked a dozen times, sorry.

Can anyone post some links as to where i should start, tutorials and such. As i said, I just stated learning this, but I'm a quick learner. Thanks a lot guys.

Oh, what would be really cool, if someone would say "go here, learn this, and come back when you've done that" heh.

I'm always looking at tutorials, videos, and reading about it, so don't think I want you guys to do the work for me, just a point in the right direction. Thanks Again.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win your still retarded.
# 2 07-11-2002 , 08:37 PM
Supreme Being
welcome to Sm Tolkien.. :p

well what is your next step, is really up to you m8..
i mean.. ask yourself what you like most.. work on that.. and take it from there..

as for tut's and stuff.. you can always check the stuff what we got here at SM..

since you say you can model most geometric figures.. how about gettin' into more complex modelin'..

hope to be seein' you around man..

# 3 08-11-2002 , 04:51 AM
Ya, thanks, I'm trying do decide, because animation sounds like it would be a lot of fun. But I think i'd like to learn to model first :-p

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win your still retarded.
# 4 08-11-2002 , 05:08 AM
Roman is completely correct.....once you feel comfortable enough you can branch out into anything really.......I am going to try my hand at dynamics/effects/textures......partly because I like making things look real user added image

# 5 08-11-2002 , 08:36 AM
Kevin
welcome to our humble home Tolkien user added image

# 6 11-11-2002 , 03:45 AM
Im in the same boat as u mate, just joined and ive been learning maya for a couple of days too.

Its funny, because u have idea's in your head of what u would like to create but u just dont know where to start first or which part to learn, if u get any good tutorials for us newbie's please PM me them as i could use some help like u, or else ill just keep an eye on this thread =].

G'luck mate

/Maz

# 7 11-11-2002 , 03:51 AM
Hello, Maz

Maya´s learning curve actually isn´t that steep, it depends on how you tacle it. it does need quite a lot of patience. But you´ll manage user added image First advise I can give you is, either try the lessons Maya comes with, or perhaps the free movies in the site, afterwards if you really want to crack at it, try the VIP ones, lots of info there. and this over-the-shoulder learning is actually quite effective.

Hope it helps...

and thanks for posting! Looking forward for more posts of you.

# 8 11-11-2002 , 04:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
Also know that it takes TIME. 3D skills aren't something that you master in a matter of weeks.. or even months. But every project you do will be better than the last as long as you practice as much as you can.

# 9 11-11-2002 , 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Kevin
welcome to our humble home Tolkien user added image

Sorry for the off topic post, but Kevin, I just now noticed your "no 1 flash fan" LOL!!!!! thats so greatuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 11-11-2002 , 04:29 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Also know that it takes TIME. 3D skills aren't something that you master in a matter of weeks.. or even months. But every project you do will be better than the last as long as you practice as much as you can.

Exactly.

I strarted 3d in 3D studio Dos, and then went to Max, then Maya.

The learning curve from Max to Maya was tough for me, because I wasn't able to spend a lot of my time with it, but now I work with it everyday.

It just takes timeuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 11 11-11-2002 , 06:00 PM
Yeah adldesigner ive been doing tutorials like mad, i found some great ones at 3dbuzz.com, they do some nice free cd's and tutorials, and ive been getting some tutorials from this site also, i find them to be quite a good way of learning.

I'll be here for a while seeing as im a newbie and ill be making good use of this newbie part of the forum, so ill see u around mate =]

# 12 11-11-2002 , 09:00 PM
Kevin
welcome Maz! must of missed this post! thx for joining up

# 13 12-11-2002 , 01:20 AM
Np, hope to use this site for learning as much as possible, looks like its gonna be great for it, thanks Kevin. user added image