Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 76 17-07-2006 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
hey jay

just wondering i never did read on any of your threads what processor or video card you have or memory ?

just wondering how long it takes to render a project like this ....

thanks for answering ..I am putting together a new rig and want to make it one that can withstand maya lol and the beast she can be

# 77 17-07-2006 , 06:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey guys

easy stuff first...

Mmoore: Well Im not overly bothered about being too up there with equipment, Im not really a fiend in that area, though some stuff out there floats my boat, but I just get what I need when I need it. I think you'll be surprised actually. I'm not using anything that will blow you away at all. Just a 3.06ghz P4 with hyperthreading enabled. 512ram (which Im going to upgrade shortly) and an NVidia Quadro FX1000 with 128ram. And a 19inch tft flat screen monitor which is great for the long hours as I dont get eye burn out as opposed to a crt. And Software, is just Maya 6 complete, PS CS, and lately Ive just got ZBrush from my dear wife for our 10th wedding anniversay pressie!! Shes a good girl!!

As for rendering this sort of project well it depends on whats in the scene, how big textures are and whether I use raytraced, MR or depth maps. I usually do max sized renders at around 2k but anything bigger is usually at 4k but thats very very rare. Also depending on the shot type could just be a close up which renders in no time. Hope this helps.

Minstrel:

Thanks dude, well brows are a little tricky, fur, pfx or otherwise. I must admit to using pfx on a model a while ago (I only have Maya Complete you see) It looked good after HOURS of tweaking the thousandth setting LOL. But lately Im more into doing it the good ol fashion way using a polyplane with a hand painted map with an Alpha for the transparency. I initially wanted to use a photo of my wifes brow so I took a Hi res photo very close at around 3k, the idea was to separate the hair in PS using a trick with levels that I have done in the past, BUT, the problem I had was my wife has a really nice brown/golden skin and it was unfortunately causing havoc with the separation of the hair, so in the end I scaled the image over the uv snap in PS and made a custom brush and painted them by hand one at a time. I was pleased with the result to be honest as they looked better than the real ones!! But dont tell the wife that LOL.

Lastly to get the movement on the brows to go with the face Im just doing blendshapes with an SDK along with the face

Cheers
Jay

# 78 17-07-2006 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
jay it seems, and you sort of confirmed, that one must make a decision were to specialize in maya, its too big for one person

blends for the brows? man this model is packed with differant workflows.., its not rigged? sorry if thats a repeat the thread is huge.

mmoore, its not the size its how you use it lol

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 17-07-2006 at 10:53 PM.
# 79 18-07-2006 , 07:56 AM
Mirek

Yeah absolutely, I've always considered myself a jack of all trades with Maya anyhow, master of none, as its too big to know EVERY possible area thoroughly. I know enough to get by and a little more to help people out when and if I can. I think the same can be said for most people on the forums around the web.

Yeah blendshapes for the eyebrows, uses the same technique as you would for facial expressions, only you would have a particular face shape 'Drive' the eyebrow shape. All good fun...

Cheers
Jay

# 80 18-07-2006 , 11:16 AM
Jay

Would it be possible for you to show the texture for the hand, the photoshoped texture not applied to the model? As I find it hard to visulize how you have done such a great job with the transition form the sing to the nails.

Also des your GI modeling and texturing show the same process you used to unwrap and lay out the UV's??

Cheers

Last edited by gster123; 18-07-2006 at 11:18 AM.
# 81 18-07-2006 , 03:14 PM
gster,

Yes and Yes, I'll post later

Jay

# 82 18-07-2006 , 08:16 PM
Well I didnt think the texture would be of use as a pointer, so heres the uv instead. I cut the thumbs off so I had a bit more room to enlarge the uvs. Im not concerned about seams as I know they can be removed with Mayas 3d texture tools!! See GI DVD for details!!

I can hear the screams of 'why have you laid them like this?' Basically I wanted to keep the uvs a similar size all round with everything.

Later
Jay

user added image

# 83 19-07-2006 , 07:42 AM
Cheers Jay,

Straight after i get my new PC think i'm gonna get your modeling and texturing DVD.

Cheers for sharing.

# 84 19-07-2006 , 08:54 PM
No Probs

_J

# 85 20-07-2006 , 09:44 PM
Yo

Hand is done texture wise, its good enough, the lighting at this stage is not important, moving along...

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 86 20-07-2006 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
. . its good enough. .

Man that's really awesome Jay . . both the modeling and texturing.

# 87 21-07-2006 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
Bud if thats good enough, i want to see what Really Damn Good is in your book..

I mean Crap, you've even got the Quick in there, that little white part at the root of the nail, and the deat tips of the nails.. and its
"just good enough"

G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 88 21-07-2006 , 07:36 AM
Sorry guys...

... didnt mean to sound blase about it. But what I meant was it was 'acceptable' to be moving along otherwise I could be there all day doing the one area and not getting anywhere. Its taking long enough as it is:bandit:

Updates later

Best
_J

# 89 21-07-2006 , 07:55 AM
Wow Jay, thats superb, only thing I can say!!

# 90 21-07-2006 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
wow now that is a hand .... geeeeeez ..if you made it give me the finger I would still say wow what a finger lol

awesome work as usual

Last edited by mmoore5553; 21-07-2006 at 09:40 PM.