Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 91 28-11-2010 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
The modelling you have done on this i find very impressive.

Moving from the rough blocked out shape and overall dimensions into the details is normaly where i hit stormy waters.

I thnk that the rough surface and the spec dont do it justice though, personally i would like to see it smoother, some of the rivets are being lost.

Would these be a good candidate for displacement?

:bow:

free memory low..exception thrown
# 92 28-11-2010 , 07:38 AM
Cheers Paldav,

I am with you on the exterior and am still going to be making some tweaks and adjustments to this. The texture still needs more depth and the normals certainly need more work. I am not a fan of rendering displacement maps with maya especially as I will be animating these vehicles so normals are a much safer option.

There are a lot of details such as grills and vents which I still need to add to the exterior which will be done through textures, alphas and normal maps.

Thanks for your thoughts though and hope that the exterior on the final version will have a lot more detail and depth

# 93 30-11-2010 , 05:24 PM
Progress

user added image

user added image

# 94 01-12-2010 , 08:14 AM
1st off, great work on the site, it is looking very pro, not that it did not before but you have all done a great job on the new design and layout. Killer work

Some more renders and wires of the CH-47

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 95 01-12-2010 , 09:45 PM
The thin red line
Nice work Leon........dave

# 96 05-12-2010 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
am i still allowed to say.... awsome!

Love the renders!

free memory low..exception thrown
# 97 06-12-2010 , 10:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Fantastic work mate, really really good stuff.

Jay

# 98 07-12-2010 , 08:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.
I am now back in the UK for a month and will be getting a new comp in the next few days. I will then be able to get back to uv'ing and texturing these beasts and will hopefully have them finished or close to when I leave.
Hope you are all enjoying this festive time of the year and should have some progress soon.

Cheers,
Leon

# 99 22-01-2011 , 07:46 AM
Well did not get anything done in the UK as I gave myself a break from the screen.

Am now back on it and here is the chinook 90% complete and a character I am working on although it only has a very basic texture plugged in at the moment.

Also some face tests in Face robot which is still in need of tweaking as well as working out where I need to plug the stress and wrinkle maps. Have our motion capture set up now though and am looking forward to plugging it into all of the characters.

Face Robot Test on Vimeo

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by leonlabyk; 22-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.
# 100 22-01-2011 , 09:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Really nice work mate...that chinook is just bloody nice!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 101 22-01-2011 , 10:20 AM
Yea, I really like the Chinook user added image
Really keep this going on user added image

# 102 22-01-2011 , 10:21 AM
The thin red line
Lovely work as always, I think the arabs beard and eye braws could do with a little thinning out..........dave

Edit:face robot looks cool does it take long to learn

Last edited by daverave; 22-01-2011 at 04:52 PM.
# 103 23-01-2011 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
your stuff just gets better and better Leon.

# 104 23-01-2011 , 02:58 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

# 105 23-01-2011 , 03:20 PM
Cheers for the kind words guys, really appreciate it. I have uvd a large amount of the black hawk and some of the hummer and will begin texturing these in the next few days.

Daverdave
With regards to the beard and brows I agree and is an easy fix as it just means making some adjustments to the hair which is set up with shave and haircut.
I was shocked with the ease of use with regards to face robot. My workmate got a load of tutes off a wiki which I will post the link to when I see him tomorrow. I earlier learned how you can plug in a sound wav file and text type the recording in order to have your character talk. It is not the greatest lip synch animation ever but is very good for a quick result. Am gonna set up some motion capture in the next few hours and get that on the face as this is what it is designed for.
I will upload videos of both tests so you guys can check the results in the next couple of days. If you want to do facial animation I would certainly advise giving it a look though as you can get good results very quickly. Also if you have any experience with rigging and weight painting it will also help you with regards to the basic workflow.
The big problem is getting the animated face back onto your rigged model in Maya and this is gonna be where I am gonna have to do some problem solving. The quick option is to keep the head separate from the body but i am going to see if I can find a better way and if so will post my workflow here.
If any of you guys try to use it and run into any probs or could use some capture just let me know and I will do my best to help.

Cheers,

Leon