Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 76 05-03-2003 , 08:17 PM
Cool!

Well, I guess I gotta brush up on them for my current projects then! Thanks!

Sorry to ask, but have you found any pitfalls, or problems with them, or issues with using SubD's?

Basicly, any usage issues that you find annoying, or hard to grasp?

Just wonderinguser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 77 05-03-2003 , 08:39 PM
Kevin
and do you start with polys and convert or use subs straight from the start?

# 78 05-03-2003 , 08:45 PM
I start by using the create poly tool to make my inital shapes, and then I use the Split polygon tool to create more definition. Try and keep it as low poly as you can before you convert to Subs mode. THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 79 05-03-2003 , 09:19 PM
Cooluser added image Thanks Brian!

And thank's for asking that one Kev!

I'm working on my ARGUS ship model, and I'm in the "create polygon/split polygon" stage right now, and my goal is to add some thickness to the metal plating around the edges, so that's why I was wonderinguser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 80 05-03-2003 , 11:37 PM
Kevin
this might help brian:

# 81 05-03-2003 , 11:40 PM
Sweet!! Maybe I will have to restart my model again! That is really nice. Thanks for posting that. Maybe I will go that route, or something similar anyways!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 82 05-03-2003 , 11:42 PM
Kevin
always good to have lots of ref user added image - your welcome mate!

# 83 05-03-2003 , 11:50 PM
Dude your stuff's amazing!

A question: How long did it take you to make your first head, and then adding the shoulder/body thing to it?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 84 06-03-2003 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
Sorry brian, i had to go out for hours.. but im back now user added image. Really nice so far.... i would personalyl stay away from the small robot with the rollers, seeing that seems too (2010 ish).. and i would like to see a robot from hmmmm... (2100 ish?). user added image. Well, i really like what you have so far for the top part, and the plates you have making the body are awesome, but i think they shouldnt overlap eachother.. and instead almost reach the one beside it.. and then you should show mechanical stuff behind it. As for the body shape, i will try to find some cool mechs that were made in this psx game i liked, and post them in a few minutes user added image. K, cya brian.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 85 06-03-2003 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
Anyways, well i couldnt find an image of what i wanted to show you.. so i will TRY to explain it.. but its just so unique. On Armored core, you can buy different legs, arms, bodies, coolers, generators, heads etc.. to your mech. Anyways, one of the legs are called "spider legs"... and no, im not infactuated with spiders seeing i have said it a lot.. but these are 4 legs, that are all 90 degrees away from eachother and each one is wide, and they just skim eachother, even though they are so far apart.. so they are big legs, with lots of cool designs on them, and then in the middle of all the legs.. (just letting you know.. the legs would be looking like a + sign from above), so in the middle of that there is a big jet pack thing... so its soo cool. Anyways, just thought you might want to know this. So yea, awesome guy so far, but i wouldnt go with the whole (tread) idea user added image. Only my opinion though, all the stuff you make does turn out great, so i cant wait user added image.

# 86 06-03-2003 , 12:44 AM
sigh.... back to the drawing board I guess.... user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 87 06-03-2003 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
Ahh yeah kevin thats from the Terminator 3 website isnt it. Have u seen the trailer for that film?...that female terminator is damn fine...mmmmm...and scary...aaaaarrrgggh.

The film looks awesome btw

I really like what uve done so far Brian. Im like you tho m8 - sometimes i tend to start something really enthusiastically, then after a while it tends to lose its appeal

What might be a good idea is if u first decide the context that ur robot/cyborg would operate in. For example if you want it to be some sort of warrior, you might want it to look functional and battle worn with say rough edges and all sorts of weaponry. On the other hand if u want it to be say a robotic vehicle, you could give it a countoured, smooth look. The approach i sometimes take is to decide what context a model will be in, then make notes on what looks would suit it within that context. This way i know where im going with an idea which saves me my time...and my patience lol

Im probably stating the obvious here but I hope its of some use to u user added image

# 88 06-03-2003 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
Ah, brian.. once again, i know whatever you do will come out wonderful.. its all your decision.. im just throwin out ideas user added image.

# 89 06-03-2003 , 03:38 AM
your too good. DISQUALIFIED! Nice work man. You already win!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 90 06-03-2003 , 03:42 AM
Thats ok M, I like the Challenge. user added image
Haven't won yet, as a matter of fact, I don't even have a design ready yet. lol Thanks for the advice alexgc. If I keep fred, it will be more like a scout, if I keep, the true robot guy, it will be more like a warrior, THen again, I could make both, and make the warrior controlled by fred... Hmmm....
Not sure,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!