Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-04-2006 , 05:06 PM

What's the prefer medthod (character)

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to create characters, such has human, monster, etc. and then planning to animate them later but i don't know what's the best process to follow

right now i am modeling each of my characters' body part individually in NURBs, then I convert it to Polygons and stitch it together, then i covert the whole body of character (once all stiched together) into sudivision....

If I want to animate these characters, is this the method in creating one?
thanks

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 2 22-04-2006 , 07:11 AM
Subscriber
Hey you don't need to convert to subdivision if you were to animate. I think it's really only good for modeling because subdivision is basically just a preview of how your poly model would look smoothed. It's best to rig your character starting with a low poly version so that it would save you a lot of time and frustration, plus it won't slow down your computer so bad.
When doing the low poly rigging, you should also smooth proxy it so that you can preview how your character would look smoothed when you move it around.

That's just my 2 cents.

# 3 23-04-2006 , 06:49 AM
okay, thanks a lot ^^, i guess I'll have to do some rigging studies then

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs