Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-07-2006 , 10:09 PM

Converting files to Maya

Anyone know what software is good for converting 3D models into a format for Maya?

I have a Lightwave (LWO) model of a Harley Davidson Fatboy that I'd like to import into Maya.

I found some stuff from Okino called PolyTrans and NuGraf - but it's pretty expensive for someone just starting out with Maya.

Please let me know if you know of an inexpensive way to convert files into Maya.

# 2 03-07-2006 , 12:41 PM
Senior Software Developer
This might be better posted in the Simply Lightwave forums, but there should be ways to deal with it.

Highend3d is a great place to find exporters/importers. From what I know of lightwave you need to export as an OBJ file and Maya can import those file types without issue.Highend 3D

Here's 1 I searched earlier Link

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 03-07-2006 , 07:15 PM

Trying to convert file from Lightwave to Maya

I tried the plugin you mentioned from The Beaver Project, but it doesn't work. I downloaded the zip file from HighEnd3D, unzipped the files and placed the 2 files (lwoIO_25.mll and lwoIO_30.mll) into my Maya plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\bin\plug-ins).

I set Maya's preferences (Windows/Settings/Preferences/Plugin Manager) and tried loading the files. It wouldn't let me load them, only set them for auto load.

But then when I try to import the lightwave file, it won't let me import the lightwave (lwo) file.

Is there another to load plug-ins? What am I doing wrong? Please let me know.

# 4 03-07-2006 , 11:52 PM
You have done nothing wrong. The mll files are written in C++, but they will not be for your version of Maya. You would need the source code and a c++ compiler to recomplie for your Maya Version.

Have you lookec at the main site to try to find one for your version of Maya?

OK I'm being dumb... There should be an FBX plugin available for Lightwave (if its not already there). If not look here

You can get the latest FBX Plug for maya from Alias/Autodesk website. This may require Bronze membership, but its free and worth it...

FBX is what is becoming the standard for the import and export of assets from one 3D app to another. I have used for Maya to Max and it works 100%

Reply back and let me know how you get on.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 5 04-07-2006 , 01:08 PM
I've been using LW7 to make my models for maya7 and also for ZBrush and there really isn't a problem with using .obj export in LW. Just in the maya import settings you may need to play around to get the desired results like turning off grouping. Hope that helps, it's all I need and have done everything with it user added image

# 6 05-07-2006 , 11:00 AM

Converting files to Maya

A guy from The Beaver Project tried to convert the Lightwave model of the Harley Davidson Fatboy over into an OBJ format, but it wouldn't open in Modeler 8 and caused his program to crash. I originally found the model on Turbo Squid at:
https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie....cfm/ID/129979

# 7 05-07-2006 , 11:46 AM
Use FBX its 100% reliable

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 8 05-07-2006 , 10:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the FBX plugins for Maya. I found a page on Autodesk's website with the FBX plugin downloads:
https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=6839916

Also I got the file converted over to Maya by that guy from The Beaver Project. He used a different version of Lightwave and it worked out. I'd post the file here, but it's over 4 meg.

I'm going to work on applying textures to the model and then I'll post it up on TurboSquid and let you all know when it's online.

Thanks again to all for your help.