Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 11-03-2009 , 10:13 PM
Yeah, it's from a book called "Game Character Development". The author is supposed to be a game industry veteran, but the book is a few years old.

I can easily turn everything into quads but for the sake of following along with the book, I'll keep moving forward as it is. If I don't like the way it turns out in the end, I can always make it quads then. Making it quads is not a big deal for me.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 17 11-03-2009 , 11:33 PM
As long as you have a good edge flow, tris are actually BETTER than quads for real time, since the model will get trangulated by either the game engine or the graphics card. If you do the triangulation yourself you won't get any surprises...

# 18 12-03-2009 , 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone, good info about the tris...I feel better now.

Anyway, I've started on the hair. I had to work late and I'm exhausted so I'll finish her hair tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 19 13-03-2009 , 02:10 AM
Hair is finished. Next is the ear...ugh!

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 20 13-03-2009 , 02:21 AM
Looking good so far Perfecto! I have the same book you are doing this from but haven't got around to starting it yet, will have to one day but for now I look forward to seeing how yours comes out, good luck with it!

# 21 13-03-2009 , 02:59 AM
Thanks Dango77. Here's a full body screenshot.

I don't think the guys final model looks exactly like the reference pic but oh well. I've also change a few slight things. My characters face is a little longer vertically and I shortened the legs....ALOT. It just didn't look right to me so I couldn't resist changing it.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 22 14-03-2009 , 01:18 AM
All the modeling is done now. Next is optimizing the mesh (deletinig unecessary faces, clean up, etc.)

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 23 14-03-2009 , 01:24 AM
Cool! For a low poly model it's looking really good so far,how many is it? Have you managed to keep it in the target range set by the author?

# 24 14-03-2009 , 01:35 AM
I'm at 6k tris right now, so I have to get rid of 1.5k tris during the optimization stage...shouldn't be a problem though.

Edit: I'm going to make here ear a little bigger first though. It just doesn't look quite right to me at the moment.

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 14-03-2009 at 01:37 AM.
# 25 14-03-2009 , 01:44 AM
Now that you say it maybe the ear is a little small, I thought it was meant to be that way as women do have smaller ears, don't do it to much then or she'll look like the Bfg, lol, keep at it, had a look at the book and she's looking pretty on target!

# 26 14-03-2009 , 01:51 AM
Thanks Dango77! I've changed a few things here and there on her to make her more to my likeing, other than that, yeah, I've kept her on target. I haven't modeled many characters so I'm being a little selfish on this one, hehe. Otherwise I would keep her more like the book model.

Exceed Expectations!
# 27 14-03-2009 , 06:28 PM
Optimizing is done. She is below 4500 tris now.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 28 14-03-2009 , 06:29 PM
Front Wireframe

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 29 14-03-2009 , 06:30 PM
Back Wireframe

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 30 14-03-2009 , 06:31 PM
Triangulated. Next is deformation tests and adding detail where needed in order to get good deformation during animation.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!