Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-04-2011 , 07:45 AM

Realism

Hi Guys, been away a while.
But just done this tin and would like to get it looking more realistic.

Could anyone give a few suggestion?

Thanks
Graham

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 16-04-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
# 2 11-04-2011 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
hey Sircharles!

Looks pretty real for me. You want to make the comp more real or just the sardine box?

# 3 12-04-2011 , 07:39 AM
hey Joey, I dunno Im just trying to improve on it.

Its a little side project. I suppose Im talking lighting and mood of environment,
Its currently in a HDRi environment and has an area light pointing at it and a point on the near side.

Any suggestions?

# 4 12-04-2011 , 08:10 AM
Lifetime Member
I would turn the HDR down to 0.5 Sircharles...get rid of the area light...put in a spotlight...around 1 intensity...up the cone angle...turn on MR shadows...then another spotty...turn off illuminate by default and set intense at 0.75...then start a playin...you could add a zillion lights LOL...its just a matter of tweaking and tweaking...Im trying to learn as much as I can about lighting this year...I should have learnt all I need...by the time Im 110 years old. LOL...just keep tweaking...use the IPR as it will change as you tweak something..pick a relative part of the scene so you arent doing to whole thing...at the moment I think its catching too much light.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 12-04-2011 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
Maybe 1 thing. Try to move the table or the UV. Looks better if you cant see the uv connection (if its not seamless). I saw table like this in life so its okey. its just a tip user added image

# 6 12-04-2011 , 11:33 AM
The Nurb Herd
how about an occlusion, some dof, some imperfections in the tin maybe? your lights are probably fine. (not sure about the point light)
funnily enough i made one of these for a ch4 thing recently. if you ask me, my version looked better than the final version. user added image
its looking like a nice start tho. rather than doing a cg table. you should try comping it into a photo of a table.

# 7 12-04-2011 , 12:10 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah sweet dom sweet....good idea on the comp mate....I still think the reflection is too bright on the bottom left...tone that down a little I reckon....and jokes aside..thats what I have for my lunches...that very brand.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 14-04-2011 , 07:43 AM
Thanks for advice fellas, Ya I think I will revisit the lighting. It would probably look better placed in a real photo too, but Ill mess around with the lights first. AO olso.

anyway cheers,