Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-03-2011 , 05:58 AM
Lifetime Member

Randomizing textures

Ok this is probably not possible....is there a way to randomize textures either in PS or Maya for walls and courtyards etc etc...I am doing a Warhammer model for a mate (yes he is a geek and still plays with toys)...now the courtyard is for the final scene..as I havent finished the model yet. Look at the bricks and the walls...they are identical and look computer generated....I want to randomize it and make it look realistic...any suggestions besides doing it the old way...by hand..LOL

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 21-03-2011 , 07:50 AM
Have no idea, but your model looks great! Still need to learn hard-surface modeling

# 3 21-03-2011 , 09:03 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 21-03-2011 , 09:57 AM
A good way to make things appear less repeated is to use masks to belend between different versions of the same texture or to overlay dirt maps or other textures on top.

You can use the mix8 layered shader (if your using mental ray)
https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...-for-mentalray
or mib_color_mix.. however if your not using mental ray shaders maya maya layered texture works fine.
Here is a quick example:

Using a fractal texture which is layered over the orignal grid using another texture as the alpha will give you some variation over the entire surface. In this case I also blended between this result and the original using a ramp so for example if you only want the bottom of your wall to be dirty you could achive an effect this way.

I know its rough but hope you get the picture. There are many ways to blend and effect textures, color gain is really useful, to stack up results, ramps are nice to control effects over a surface and the math nodes and surf luminance nodes can be used to drive textures based on lighting contributions etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 21-03-2011 , 10:26 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Laurie...I will look inot that man...good chap. I guess I should have to UV the wall as a single entity...I was for a quick look...ie auto UV and apply texture. I will certainly write this down and when it comes to do the scene proper apply it.

Thanks mate bullet

EDIT: DL'd mate...cheers for that

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
# 6 21-03-2011 , 10:32 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I just had a thought...would be nice to have a brick/block tumbler...like the ones they put green bricks into...and tumble them to give random deformation...hhhhhhmmmmmmmm

EDIT: havent had time Laurie...but did it the cheats way for now so I can gauge what I want later..I will leave it for now and finish the model...then have a crack at that mix8 man.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-03-2011 at 01:14 PM.