Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-12-2011 , 12:44 AM

Maya Rig 'Helpers'?

Hi everyone. I'm new to Maya so please bear with me. A while back I was playing with 3dmax9, and it had an excellent tutorial for rigging that featured an alien. The end result involved helpers that let you move parts of the body without having to grab individual bones. The feet also didn't sink below the grid, and acted as if the grid was a solid object. When you grabbed the helper that was (I think) a large circle around the waist area, the entire model would move in an organic fashion, sort of like how models move in poser (ie, grab one part, and the rest of the body is yanked towards/along with it it realistically, as if it were being grabbed in real life.)

Are there helpers or dummy objects in Maya that can achieve this kind of effect? I tried looking through the help section, but I must be searching for the wrong term or reading the wrong sections.

Also, I see the facial rig circle featured in many youtube videos. Is this kind of rig the result of blends?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for being such a newbie at this!

# 2 06-12-2011 , 04:09 AM
EduSciVis-er
I think what you are looking for are generally called control curves. They are definitely achievable in Maya and are used quite a lot. The feet planting on the grid is something else that is more complex, but still achievable. I haven't done this tutorial, but it should be very decent: https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=195&sub_cat=0, maybe a bit advanced for you, not sure. It's also an alien, so that's bonus.

# 3 06-12-2011 , 03:23 PM
THANK YOU. Yes that was exactly what I was looking for. I knew Maya had to have the equivalent of them, just didn't know what the term was called. lol. Thanks for the awesome link to the tutorial too. That looks just up my ally of what I wanna experiment with.