Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 04-04-2014 , 01:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
if you have read that solid angle tute on skin then its pretty clear what to do.

its all down to the diffuse really in the end and how you balance that out with the sub and back scatters...

theres no quick way other than to study it and do it

Jay

# 17 05-04-2014 , 01:42 PM

And it's usually people like me that have to do it...

Skalman, you should take a step back from the model for a few days. Fresh eyes will make it easier to be judgmental on it. Right now there are some more fundamental issues with your anatomy. For example, the transition from his face to his head is very sharp, he has no muscle mass on his calves, his chest looks too big for his waist, and his eyebrows look way too pushed out which kind of makes him look like a neanderthal. If you want this to be realistic, you can't rush things. I know it's tempting, but a likeness can't just be achieved in textures.

thanks for the reply man. ive been walking around asking my friends for advice if things on my model are looking weird/unnatural etc, this is my very first time i model a human body (only been doing tons of faces before) so im not really expecting a perfect result. but im trying!

thanks for pointing out theese things, kinda busy weekend so ill do as you say, have a look at some people IRL and rest my eyes from all the squares, then keep working on what you pointed out. user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 18 05-04-2014 , 01:52 PM

if you have read that solid angle tute on skin then its pretty clear what to do.

its all down to the diffuse really in the end and how you balance that out with the sub and back scatters...

theres no quick way other than to study it and do it

Jay

thanks jay mate. Yes I've got Sphere VFX Arnold for maya tutorials, they're great. ill experiment with it once i get to the SSS. user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^