Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-07-2012 , 09:02 PM

particles with opacityPP attribute not rendering properly

I have a volume emitter set to cloud s/w for the particle type. I have an opacityPP attribute set to use a ramp for the opacity which is using a value of 0 at birth, 1 somewhere in the middle, and 0 at death. When playing my simulation in the timeline, the opacity appears to be working properly in a shaded viewport.

I have a fluid texture applied to the particles.

When I render in mental ray, the opacityPP seems to be ignored and the texture is rendering from birth even though the particle opacity is at 0 at that point.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks!

# 2 19-07-2012 , 12:46 AM
an update: After much searching, I found that other people have found a solution to this and that solution is the particleSamplerInfo node.

after all my reading, it seems all I need to do is input the opacityPP into the particleSamplerInfo node, possibly add a reverse node, then output the p.s.i. node to the transparency of the fluid texture.

For all my efforts, I can attach the p.s.i. node to the transparency, but I can't hook up the opacityPP to it for some reason. Can anyone help?

# 3 19-07-2012 , 07:15 PM

solved

got it figured out. I had little knowledge of the particleSampler node and didn't realize it takes no input, it just samples the scene. After that it was just a matter of connecting the sampler to the proper spot on the reverse node. Hours of internet searching, forum trolling, and it just took a friend of mine who had a better knowledge of the sampler to explain it...sigh. Now my fluid is rendering properly. Hope this post can help someone out in the future.

# 4 06-11-2015 , 12:52 PM
it did. Thanks