Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-02-2012 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber

Low Poly for Games Tut - problem with Image

Hello,

I am using Maya 2012 and am following the tutorial mentioned above where at the beginning it says to create a Lambart and add the front image file to it. I do this ok but then he says to middle mouse drag the lambert onto the plane but this does not work so I used right-click and then assign material to selection. I then press 5, 6 and the image appears. Now the problem is the image does not show correctly. The image is supposed to be 10.9 inches width and 7.7 inches height. If I scale the plane to 10.9 x and 7.7 y it does not scale in the Y. So it is squashed. If I leave the scale for both x and y at 1 and then go down to Inputs. I change the width to 10.9 and the height to 10.9 and it shows correctly but I'm thinking that it is not going to look right because the character we are creating is not square! The subdivision width and height in the Input channel are both 1. If I change it to 10.9 x and 7.7 y the head is chopped off.

Can anyone please check it in Maya 2012 and let me know what I am doing wrong??

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TazmanNZL; 13-02-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added screenshot of problem
# 2 13-02-2012 , 08:34 PM
Administrator
The height's on the z-axis in this specific case, type the values in for scale x and z as in this screen instead and leave the width and height at default.

Good luck with the tutorial and thanks for supporting Simply Maya user added image

Attached Images
# 3 13-02-2012 , 08:38 PM
Technical Director

The height's on the z-axis in this specific case, type the values in for scale x and z as in this screen instead and leave the width and height at default.

Good luck with the tutorial and thanks for supporting Simply Maya user added image

Holy crap Nilla! How wide is your channel-box? user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 13-02-2012 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
LOL, thanks!

Just watched the tutorial again and indeed he changed the Z axis. I obviously wasn't paying attention and just assumed it was X and Y.

Is this true for all planes or is it because the plane was rotated about the X axis by 90?

Just trying to understand why it is in the Z axis for height. Sorry for sounding like such a noob user added image

# 5 13-02-2012 , 10:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
It'll be because it's rotated 90 degrees. Planes are created in the zx plane by default, but if you rotate up, the original z will now be the height.

# 6 13-02-2012 , 10:38 PM
A couple other things to consider. At the bottom of the planes properties in the channel box you will see create UV's as a matter of practice I change this to "normalization off" you then have to be sure the aspect ratio of the plane you create is correct.

To ensure the plane you creates aspect ratio is correct look at the dimensions of the image. I use adobe bridge which shows me both the pixel and inch resolution of the image. I prefer to use the inch dimensions. If the image is say 10.9 inches by 7.7 inches I create a plane that has width 10.9 and height 7.7. When the shader is applied the image will be stretched to fill the entire plane and will have the correct aspect ratio.

If you choose the last option "normalize and maintain aspect ratio" the image will fill the entire plane but may be clipped if the plane is not oriented properly or created with the proper aspect ratio.

I have found no use for the "off" option.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 14-02-2012 , 11:55 AM
Administrator

Holy crap Nilla! How wide is your channel-box? user added image

haha, wide enough to stretch across the Atlantic from the looks of it that made me laugh user added image