Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-09-2015 , 02:53 AM

Need help with nonlinear deformer overlapping portions

I'm trying to recreate a soft, 'wavy' twisted look (the blue wavy tube image) by using overlapping Nonlinear Twist Deformers in Maya, but the twist deformer doesn't have a soft 'falloff' (as seen in the black and white image). I looked at painting deformer attribute weights, but got overwhelmed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 02-09-2015 , 04:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
What if you generated the whole structure flat, then used a sine deformer to get your nice gentle waves, then used a bend deformer to bend the whole thing around into a cylinder.

# 3 02-09-2015 , 10:42 PM

Wavy

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of rolling it out flat before applying a sine modifier. Way to think outside the box. user added image

I ended up getting it done by using soft select of CVs in the V direction, then rotating the group. Worked pretty well.

Thanks for the input.

# 4 02-09-2015 , 11:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice, glad you got it sorted. There's usually a handful or more ways to achieve a desired effect.