Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-09-2005 , 10:24 PM

Merging Edges (Poly)

Hello,

This is my first model. I really have only done a simple robot character for Lynda's tutorials, a spaceship tutorial, and part of the free dog tutorial. I am trying to model the Magnum Research Desert Eagle XIX .50 AE in Matt Black. I used three reference images and after a few tries (I am a terrible drawer by the way), I came up with my side plane to model from.

I want to model, texture, and rig for games, so I am trying out polygons. I was reading a discussion on whether SubDiv, polys, or nurbs are the best option for games, and MtMkinley (SP?) said you should always use polys. So if you are creating a character, you should use polys the whole way through? I also read that people use all of three of them. How does that work? How do you determine what is best with each type?

Anyway, back on topic. I created the basic shape, minus the trigger. The problem is from the back part of the gun to the barrel I have these two little spots where there is space. Originally I had them like right on top of eachother, but I pulled them apart to make it easier to clean up. Every time I try to use "Merge Multiple Edges", it says:

// Warning: polySewEdge8 (Poly Sew Edge Node): No edges were merged, for one of the following reasons:
// - the threshold is too small,
// - face normals of faces adjacent to edges being merged point in opposite directions,
// - the edges and/or contained vertices are nonmanifold.
// - the edges belong to different polygon objects.
// You can solve this problem in one of these ways:
// 1) Edit the Threshold,
// 2) Fix up the face normals using Edit Polygons -> Normals,
// 3) Remove nonmanifold edges or vertices using Polygons -> Cleanup,
// 4) Use Edit Polygons -> Merge Vertices as an alternative.
// 5) Use Polygons -> Combine first to create a single object. //

When I try "Merge Edge Tool", the little tool thing comes up for the cursor, but I can't select any edges. I tried right clicking, selecting edge, but I can't see or select any edges. When I go back to the move tool I can select them fine.

I have played with the settings and threshold, I *tried* to correct the normals (I forgot how to view the direction of all of the normals, so I don't even know if it is a problem), Merge Vertices won't work in this case, and it is already one object. I am having the same problems at the front of the gun where the little metal piece is a situated that helps you aim the gun.

Any ideas? I attached the mb file. I would really appreciate some help! I can't figure it out.

Thank you! :bow:

Technel

PS: Another question that I had was -- do you guys think I should learn all about effects, lighting, creating scenes, and all of that sort of stuff if I only intend on using it to create game models? I am considering doing it professionally in a few years (please don't respond to this user added image). Would it be most beneficial for me to get a better overall scope so if I find myself in unexpected situations (working for a movie studio, perhaps), I can properly function?

Attached Files
File Type: mb magnum research desert eagle.mb (86.9 KB, 549 views)

Last edited by technel; 15-09-2005 at 10:27 PM.
# 2 16-09-2005 , 07:35 AM
on first reading it did sound like there were two objects you were trying to merge the edge for but the instructions on how to sort that are in the quote you posted.

without looking at your file, have you tried selecting all the edges around the hole and then doing edit polygons -> fill hole?

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 3 16-09-2005 , 07:23 PM

Originally posted by t1ck135
on first reading it did sound like there were two objects you were trying to merge the edge for but the instructions on how to sort that are in the quote you posted.

If you were reading closely enough, you would see that I had responded to each of those individual points from the quote and told what I tried and what the result was.

Originally posted by t1ck135
without looking at your file, have you tried selecting all the edges around the hole and then doing edit polygons -> fill hole?

I did not try fill hole, but I just tried now and it did not work. I selected three edges on each sides, but Fill Hole did nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

# 4 16-09-2005 , 07:29 PM
just offering another suggestion, and as stated, 'on first reading' - thats all

what version of maya are you using as the file isnt accessible

www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 16-09-2005 at 07:32 PM.
# 5 16-09-2005 , 07:32 PM
Using Maya 7.0. I also attached a screenshot of the issue from the side view.

Thanks for the response!

Edit: I, for some reason, couldn't open it by double clicking. I had to go to File -> Open in Maya. I read that if you do a Search & Replace on "7.0" you should be able to replace it with your version number and it may work in a text editor. I would almost guarentee I am not using any 7-specific features (yet).

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 16-09-2005 , 07:33 PM
use split polygon and click between the left hand edge (about the middle and press return (so just inserting a single vertice. Now you have two edges each to join up.

www.flash-fx.net
# 7 16-09-2005 , 07:41 PM
I used the split polygon tool, but I got this...how does that help me? It didn't make an edge I can use to merge, just added vertices!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 16-09-2005 , 07:50 PM
start from left to right,

1) as your original problem was

2) choose split polygon tool and click in the middle of the left edge, then press return

3) you now have two edges at the bottom, choose merge edge tool and select them both, then press return

4) result should be that the area is sealed as shown

hope this helps user added image

Attached Images

www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 16-09-2005 at 08:01 PM.
# 9 16-09-2005 , 10:50 PM
I'm sorry, but I still can't get it to work! I got the split poly tool to work by going to Edge mode and it added one vertex about in the center. This is exactly what I did after the split:

1. Clicked on Edit Polygons -> Merge Edge Tool [optional box]
2. Selected the "Reset Tool" button to reset any changes I may have made accidentally.
3. Right clicked on the model and selected "Edge"
4. Zoomed in and clicked on the left edge.

...But the edge isn't highlighted! I can't select the right edge either. I can SEE the edges outlined after I turn on edge mode, but I try selecting the left edge like you showed in your screen and it doesn't work! When I exit the Merge Edge Tool and go into edge mode, I can select the edges fine.

I really appreciate your help and patience! I think I mentioned this is my original post as well, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I looked the tool up in the Maya manual, but it just talks about the First/Middle/Second options for the tool.

# 10 17-09-2005 , 07:40 AM
Just dowloaded it and got the model into maya.

I can see the problem! You need to delete the faces inside the model as they are stopping you joining the edges. I couldnt see the extra faces in the side view shot.
I've uploaded your model with the faces deleted and a vertice added to the edge as described. You should now be able to merge the required edges user added image

Tip: Always check that there aren't any rogue faces around the edges you want to join.

Attached Files
File Type: mb magnum research desert eagle.mb (86.7 KB, 568 views)

www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 17-09-2005 at 07:43 AM.
# 11 17-09-2005 , 02:53 PM
Thank you very much! I see the problem with the inside faces now. I have to get ready for work now, but I just tried it on my original file and I can go to Edit Polygons -> Delete Edge and the face is removed (Del key does not work because it tries to merge), but when I get down to the part shown in my side view screenshot, when I delete it it basically deforms the entire object. I am in the 3D perspective view inside the model deleting them, so I know I am selecting the correct face.

I checked out your attached file and I was able to merge edges fine there, so when I have more time when I get home I will play around with it some more.

Thank you! :bow:

I will post back with my results user added image

# 12 17-09-2005 , 11:31 PM
*sigh*

I still can't get it to work. I checked out your file and I see that inside there aren't any extra faces, but I can't do it. This is what I am doing:

("IMAGE #" refers to screenshot attached)

1. Position perspective view in the barrel and move towards the problem area.
2. Select the two faces that are in place at the opening. (IMAGE 1)
3. Click on Edit Polygons -> Delete Edge.
4. Move the camera outside the gun (IMAGE 2).

As you can see, the structure of that portion of the gun is gone! I don't understand how else I could delete them. I realize I could just use the file you attached, but that would just wind me up here the next time I have a similar problem.

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 18-09-2005 , 08:31 AM
All you need to do is select the faces and then press 'Del' on your keyboard (not delete edges). This will remove them completely and allow you to start attaching the edges separately user added image

I know its all a bit crazy at the moment (believe me I spent many a long night getting lost with things like this) but stick with it, it'll be worth it user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 14 19-09-2005 , 08:38 PM
What happened was I pressed delete and it exposed more faces behind it, and then I saw a Warning, so I assumed it didn't work and (for some reason) decided to try "Delete Edges".

Anyway, I read your post, tried it again, and realized my mistake! :attn:

Thanks a lot! I cleaned up the model, but I am still have one (okay, two) problems. First of all, on the part of the gun towards the back where it goes up (see screenshot #1) I can't merge the edges. When I go to Merge Edge Tool, it only allows me to merge it with the short edges on the side. I tried deleting them, but it gave an error.

My other question is that it is my understanding that the edge that is highlighted in screenshot #2. You will notice that both of the edges go to the same vertice. Probably a mistake I made while trying to clean it up. Is there any way to fix it? I have looked at a lot of wireframe models, and I never see anything like this. Will it fix when I smooth it?

Speaking of smoothing, a QUICK question...I read in the WIP forum where someone was making a kickass car he said that you should train yourself to know where to put poly splits and work with your model while smoothed. Does that mean that you should take a poly model in the very early stages and do a proxy smooth and work with the bounding box?

Thanks a million! :bow:

PS: I like your fighter y-wing model user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 19-09-2005 , 08:42 PM
And if you need it, here is the scene file user added image

(Thanks again!)

Attached Files
File Type: mb magnum research desert eagle.mb (97.0 KB, 539 views)