Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-03-2006 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber

Enzo Model

This is my first crack and a poly/subd car model. Posting work in progress for feedback.

Ta

MrR

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-03-2006 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
looks really good so far, keep going

First year 3D Grad
# 3 21-03-2006 , 06:42 PM
I think we may have 2 dilberts. user added image

Good start!

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 4 26-03-2006 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
Progress is awefully slow thanks to my real job and the 6 week old baby I call my son user added image

Here's an update!

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 26-03-2006 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
wow very nice and congrats on the son. I am about ready to have one too ..so feel the pain on times issues ..well i dont know if I am having a boy or girl .. love the car so far ...keep it up cant wait to see

# 6 27-03-2006 , 12:52 AM
congrats on the kid!

wow you are good, especially for first timers- my first time model was a crappy guitar... which I won't even bring back to mind user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 7 27-03-2006 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words regarding my son folks.

The results I'm getting are a result of paying close attention to technique. I see a lot of chat in forums along the lines of "how to I model a car?" or "how do I model an elephant?" but no one thing has a single correct technique.

If you're getting any of the tutorials on this site, my recommendation would be to choose something similar but not the same as the model in the video. In this way you concentrate on the approach you'll need to create a good model instead of trying to mimic the actions of the tutor.

As an example, I modelled this -

Displacer Beast

after watching Mike's poly head tut and Kurt's dragon modelling tut.

Key takeaways for me are (and this will be obvious to many):

1. Use a good, well aligned reference image.
2. Block in major features first. Add detail later with split poly, append poly, merge vertices, extrude faces.
3. Low Poly -> Mesh Smooth is neat for organics.
4. Low Poly -> SubD -> Creases -> High Poly is nice for tech models (how I've modelled the Enzo).
5. All quads - no triangles (if possible).
6. Know your tools! Small increments in understanding make big differences.
7. NURBS are powerful but sometimes difficult to work with depending on the model.

I hope this helps others.

MrR

# 8 08-04-2006 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
I've been quite delayed in getting back to this but I'm past the body shell and I'm starting on other details. I'm trying to get the tires sorted out now - a revolved NURBS shape with a displacement map. Having a few troubles however and would love advice if it's out there.

1. Just to the right of the little red dot I've added to the image is an unexplained discolouration. I'm rendering with MentalRay.

2. I understand it's better to uncheck Feature Displacement in the attribute editor of the object you're applying a displacement map to and to create a MentalRay displacement approximation. When I do this, the tire just ends up a little squashed and there's none of the details from the displacement map. When I check Feature Displacement, I get the attached image - not bad but a little edgy here and there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 08-04-2006 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
its looks better than teh ferrari tutorial by FARRRRR

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 10 08-04-2006 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
*crai*:hug:

I will admit it looks good though but would imagine it took much longer than it did for me to model the 360? :p

# 11 08-04-2006 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
It's hard for me to estimate time because the time I get to do this is so fractured. I'd have to say that I could have picked a simpler car geometry to model but I'm happy I went this way because it's been a great learning experience.

Still struggling with the tire so if anyone can add value, I'd really appreciate it!

# 12 09-04-2006 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
OK got some time to do the tire and rim. I would have re-rendered with a bit better lighting but MentalRay is so damn slow and my wife wants the puter.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 09-04-2006 , 01:11 PM
well, idk but that looks really realistik

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 14 09-04-2006 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
whats with people and putting chrome rims on every car they make.

chrome makes 3d cars look fake.

the enzo was never produced with chrome rims, and no one that buys an enzo would ever be mental enough to put chrome rims on their enzo.

arg

go siver (stock) or if you wanna go custom go black or black with a polished lip, but don't go all chrome. yuck

First year 3D Grad
# 15 09-04-2006 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber

First year 3D Grad

Last edited by sspikedudley; 10-04-2006 at 12:59 AM.