Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-09-2008 , 10:19 AM

Crash

I started Maya 6.5 Unlimited on my Windows XP SP2 box today and it crashed while at the splash screen.

With its last breath, Maya gave me this error message in a dialog:

Fatal Error: Attempting to save in C/: Docume~/User/Local~1/Temp/User.20080917.1608.ma

user added image

I think this is the temp file for the default scene. It was created properly - it was present at the given location, it could be read by Notepad and I checked my hard drive twice for corruption and bad sectors, nothing wrong.

I deleted the Maya settings, tried again, didn't work, reinstalled Maya twice, tried again, didn't work. I also tested my computer's memory, nothing wrong.

XP Pro's logs didn't give much indication as to what happened. I also reset my graphics drivers settings, but that didn't help.

I haven't changed any hardware and the installed software is the same as it always was. What could be causing this?

I really hope I don't have to reinstall Windows! :headbang:

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 15-09-2008 at 10:22 AM.
# 2 15-09-2008 , 05:09 PM
I had that problem, cant for the life of me remember what I did to fix it though.

I think it was a reinstall and made sure that I deleted all my prefs and anything that was hanging over from the uninstall too but I cant remember though!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-09-2008 , 05:05 AM
Hmm... I don't think I deleted every trace of the previous install when I reinstalled... I'll try that, thanks.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!