Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-12-2015 , 12:59 AM

Bump mapping not displaying correctly in viewport 2.0

Hi Everybody,

I have a problem with bump mapping not showing up correctly in viewport2.0 (I need to do some real time visualization), the texture is blurry and flat, it's almost as if it was just a preview.

The strange thing is that if I switch to legacy High quality viewport the bump is just fine.
On the contrary a texture mapped simply on the color attribute shows up fine in both legacy and viewport2.0, as seen in the image.

user added image

Please does anybody have an idea of what might cause this issue? maybe some settings?

I'm running Maya 2016 SP4 on OSX

# 2 11-12-2015 , 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Check the resolution settings for bump maps under the "Bake Resolution for Unsupported Textures" section in the Renderer>Viewport 2.0>Options. If you hit "Rebake all textures" or tweak any settings on your bump texture, it will update. The default bump resolution for the legacy high quality is 512 while viewport 2.0 uses 64 so that's why there's a marked difference.

- Genny