Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-05-2003 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber

"Thoria" Bridge (W.I.P. )

This is one of my first test renders for a short animation I am doing. Its part of a grand city on the water called "Thoria" Its all NURBS and I just finished working on the textures the other day. I will most likely spend some more time working on it this weekend so I will update it as I go along. Let me know what you think!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-05-2003 , 08:42 PM
great job!
nice texturing, especially on the tops of the pillars.

________

- Jacob
# 3 23-05-2003 , 08:44 PM
Looking good!

You might want to up the tessellation settings for some of the objects to get rid of the edgy look like on the top arch of the bridge thingy...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 23-05-2003 , 09:09 PM
Great work!

Keep goinguser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 24-05-2003 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, I usually suck when it comes to texturing, and yeah I noticed the tesselation thing too... It looked a lot better when I did the Maya software render, but Mental Ray didnt tesselate it as well for some reason. Should have an update pretty soon, hopefully tonight...

"The nutmeg is the epitome of nuts"
# 6 24-05-2003 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
Here it is with some glow added. I began to work on the environment... I know it looks horrible right now but bare with me, im tweaking the settings. Im still working on the Ocean Shader as well as the sky, im going to edit the ground texture to look like dirt and add some grass, trees, landscape, waterfall in foreground etc... Its part of a larger scene so ill show that too when I get around to working on it. Sorry about the low res, but this took 26 minutes to render at 640x480.

I'm still trying how to make a good sun and sky, envSky and sky bitmaps obviously dont work too well, and fluid effect clouds are difficult to integrate. Any Ideas anyone?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 25-05-2003 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
That's a good start...
If you want a good soil/ground shader, ask pure_morning, he did it very well

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 8 25-05-2003 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
Hm... thanks for the info... I started working on the ground a bit today, but it doesnt look too great. Heres a new tower (Part of the same scene) that I'm working on now. I know the textures are a bit off, and some of them don't match all that well, but bear with me, its still in progress.

For some reason when I tried to render in Mental Ray, Maya would just crash and disappear. Oh well, Ill try again tomorrow.

let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 25-05-2003 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
are you sure that you need mental ray for the animation? if your shot up there took 26 minutes. that would mean a minute to render would take 26 days alone at 24 fps.

but nice pictures you made user added image

# 10 25-05-2003 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, I know, the render times are pretty insane, but I'm worried more about quality. When I'm done I'll think of ways to keep the render time down.

# 11 25-05-2003 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Aerlinger
Yeah, I know, the render times are pretty insane, but I'm worried more about quality. When I'm done I'll think of ways to keep the render time down.

ok - good aproach. just one suggestion:

render in frames. if your computer crashes at frame 999 of 1000 and you rendered into avi - you gotta redo all. if you rendered in images, you only have to redo frame 999 and 1000. the avi file would need re-encoding after rendering anyway as it is not compressed at all.

# 12 25-05-2003 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
Yes.... I know user added image

# 13 27-05-2003 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
Here's the entire scene, you can get a general idea of where im going with this. The scene is getting rather heavy at this point (its a crapload of NURBS) and I need to spend some time in the outliner organizing. Still working on textures and fine-tuning the model. Also Trying to get some ideas for the waterfall. The waterfall is a bit tricky... had really crappy results from hardware particles, trying to mess with Fluid effects a bit now but im rather new with them. Let me know what you think, as well as any suggestions on how I could make the waterfall or clouds for the sky.

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 27-05-2003 , 06:39 AM
Wow, I love to see somebody else who likes to do more architectural modeling!!!
If you want a tip, go to the Alias Wavefront site and download the "ocean waves" shader. I don't know what I would do without it! If you take the time to tweak it, you can obtain so many different types of very cool looking water.
Also, if you were using the Maya renderer rather than Mental Ray, you may want to take a look at the Paint Effects and the great clouds you can get if you play around with it a bit.
I look forward to seing more!

Sy
# 15 27-05-2003 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber
great scene so far user added image

two suggestions:
  • the two single towers on the right hand side seam to be floating - maybe some supporting bars that are visible from any angle would help (like a triangle thingy for better support)
  • the land above the waterfall is a bit flat - some hills or construction would make it a lot more interesting user added image
keep it up