View Poll Results: Do you vote for Howardporter or Eagleking's final render
Witchy 6 46.15%
Howardporter 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 07-06-2003 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
That's looking really great (and it spins!). Only thing I would say and it's minor is perhaps beef up the hands a bit to enhance that powerful impression. But overall that's just wow! Really nice modelling you have this stuff sorted. And such a tidy mesh too.

On the time thing I think we have 3 days including today. Which is so not enough!

# 47 07-06-2003 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the helpful crit! 3 days? man.. I should have done spongebob user added image
... and for the record I did not think you were female.user added image

# 48 07-06-2003 , 04:24 PM
I know I´ve said this to my moderator buds countless times now, but I´ll go ahead and say it again.
"This hogwardspotter guy is no n00b I tell ya!"
Excellent model mate. Any chance for a static wireframe shot?

Or better, try ImageReady for the GIFS mate, as it allows you to input the time you want a given frame to display. This way we could actually look into the geometry a bit more.

Witchy! D*mn mate! You´re gonna win this one on nostalgia values mate! I couldn´t help but rummage into my ol 5 1/4 disks to look for those games! And an excellent model indeed too.

# 49 07-06-2003 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
Ad- user added image There alot of things that I am not a Noob at, but Maya is one of the things that I am.. I swear! ( I have the $2200 credit card reciept to prove ituser added image!) I have been drawing my whole life and professionally for the last 12 or so years. but i want to move into this 3d thang. since I am not that young I feel I have to move fast to have any chance making it in 3d...I am 34 in july. I bought the Maya learning pack with all the books.read as much as possible and I have used Maya at 3-6 hours every day since I got it...much to my wifes great dissapointment user added image I cant help it.. I cant sleep at night because I am constantly thinking of ways to model something... I am hooked!

I will post a wire frame when I get back tonight-

In the meantime here is a lit render with a bit more done on the hair and the hands tweaked.. Thanks too witchy!

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 07-06-2003 , 05:22 PM
I knew you were into drawing and arts or something!
Even the 3d renders have a certain quality to them, you´re a very fast learner indeed.

I apologize for not replying anymore on the tutorial, I will look into it today.

# 51 07-06-2003 , 06:00 PM
very fast. you made this in polies right?

I was wondering what part you started on?

And witchy, you could have a wife and not be male, i know dozens of lesbians and bisexuals... you never know.

# 52 07-06-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks adl, it's been fun to make, I might do Max as well when this is over!

Looking great now Howard that really makes it! He looks like he could rip a few things up now. The defninition rocks as they say. Your art background really does show, not only in your excellent concepts but in your overall visualisation and the way you put stuff together. Nice work! I am rather new to this myself but I don't have your talent. Hopefully watching you model a few things some of your talent might rub off!

Twisted I'm not a lesbian or a bisexual, simply a married guy.

And btw for nostalgia freaks Lucas Arts have just rereleased Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and The Dig (odd choice the latter I would rather have had DoTT as The Dig wasn't a great favourite) in one pack with patches to let them run under XP and on faster machines. So no more digging for old disks! These games are really worth checking out, if you never have and they are quite cheap too.

Last edited by Witchy; 07-06-2003 at 09:21 PM.
# 53 08-06-2003 , 03:02 PM
Subscriber
Ad- no worries on the tute- I dont have much time now either.
I am attaching the wires below-

twisted- yep-polies.. I started with a box and just kept cutting and pulling. I didnt concentrate on one area at a time, I made the big shapes first then cut in more detail.

with this model I spent more time on the poly detail as opposed to having to tweak the sub-d later. My computer started to go really slow the last time I started to add creasing and working on level 2 and 3 verts in sub-d.

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 08-06-2003 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
I am attaching the model at various stages for ya twisted-

I purposely left the 1st one at almost normal proportions so that I can cheat the next time I make a biped, and start from that point.

Attached Files
File Type: zip hulk.zip (153.8 KB, 130 views)
# 55 08-06-2003 , 03:14 PM
Nah Witchy.
The Dig´s one of the best games I´ve ever played.
Atmosphere was really freaky. I might as well get the pack just because of that game.

I would have changed Grim Fandango for DotT. user added image
That´s just me rambling of course.

# 56 08-06-2003 , 03:27 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys, both of your models has such a individual look user added image. Great job so far to both of you! Alright, im off.. summer is here so you wont see a lots of me during the day.. no worries though, during the day for me is usually when most of you are sleeping user added image. Cant wait to see these finals user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 57 08-06-2003 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
How long exactly do we have left? This operating in several timezones is a tad confusing 8)

# 58 08-06-2003 , 08:06 PM
we should have a set time zone here.. or something...

man i really like your hul. i saw your files, thanks for the dl.

dont recall any of these old games so i dont have the nastalgia effect... but i really like the hulkuser added image

# 59 08-06-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
Hulk is looking great Howard!

Bit of an update, still working on hat and teeth but things are coming along.

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 08-06-2003 , 11:00 PM
wtf? thats damn great

you have incrdible skills