Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-04-2012 , 09:22 AM

Model view 1,2,3

I've been modelling a highlighter to introduce me to some to basic modelling techniques while watching a few different tutorials.

Some people mention changing views using keys 1,2,3.

My model looks ok in standard view and when I do a quick render, but selecting views 2 or 3 messes it up.

What are these different views for and what scenario would you use them?

My highlighter in basic render,

user added image

# 2 06-04-2012 , 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
These are smooth preview modes, 1 is default and will show the model as is, 2 shows the smoothed version along with a cage, 3 shows you a smoothed version only. This is handy when modeling as you can switch back and forth quickly without increasing the poly count. It probably looks weird in smooth view because the model isn't built to hold its shape whenever any smoothing takes place.

- Genny
# 3 06-04-2012 , 12:13 PM
I see. So it's preview only.

I haven't smoothed anything yet, I suspect it's more specific to modelling organic forms then.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

# 4 06-04-2012 , 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Mental ray will render the smooth preview so it's not just a realtime preview thing. And I wouldn't say it's specific to organic models either, hard surfaces are often smoothed as well to avoid razor sharp "cg" looking edges.

- Genny