Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-05-2003 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber

applying textures in large surfaces

Hi there

I have a model of a builind, with large surfaces of wall and roof. I want to apply a brick texture to the wals and a tile texture to the roof. It works fine, but... user added image

Look at the image. I doesn`t look natural! user added image It looks like a repeating pattern, which derives from the texture map being repeated, right? But how can I change this? Do I have to insert a larger map file already with the imperfections or is there a way to produce theses imperfections in maya using this same texture map? user added image

Thanx a lot in advance
Daniel

# 2 14-05-2003 , 09:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
the larger the texture that is repeated, the fewer patterns.

# 3 19-05-2003 , 03:19 PM
Mike is right.

The way I personnaly go about texturing large-appearing surfaces, is with the use of my UV snapshot.

I'll then add my texture to that larger surface, rather than outright tiling it, so it appears to be one large UNinterrupted surface.

Does that make sense?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 20-05-2003 , 05:11 PM
Subscriber
Yes,

Use at least a 1024*1024 pixels texture map
then open up your texture map in photoshop and add dirt, spots of lichen wherever it needs...

Hope it'll help

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 5 20-05-2003 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
Thanx to you alll... I'll try to do it... :banana:

user added image
Daniel