Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-10-2011 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber

The Flying Octopus

Hello,

So as an exercise I'm modeling a concept I've made for a Japanese style t-shirt design:
user added image

Obviously cartoon style, let's see if I can do that user added image

# 2 19-10-2011 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
K, got the clouds done

Just some poly spheres where I deleted some faces and bridge them together

user added image

Quick render:

user added image

# 3 19-10-2011 , 07:32 AM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 19-10-2011 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
I might to render flat colors and make the work for the tshirt conversion easier but I will also render with mental ray. I'm using a mental ray ambiant occlusion shader right now I like the preliminary result, makes things smooth and look like big pieces of plastic which is what I'm trying to achieve.

# 5 20-10-2011 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
A quick update.

user added image

I'm a super beginner so my loops might be wrong, we'll see, gonna add the nose and mouth now.

# 6 20-10-2011 , 07:23 AM
Senior Software Developer
So far your loops look ok, but organic modelling is my worse skill set so don't take my word for it 😜. Try to reduce the geometry around the eyes, only add what is really needed at this stage, once you get to tweaking out you will come into issues if it's not as clean as it can be.

Are just scaling smoothness (1,2,3) or did you convert?

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.939334,-3.250055
publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 20-10-2011 , 10:19 AM
A quick tip from me...donĀ“t go too detailed on your eye region now. You may wanna subdivide the entire character maybe later once and then your eyes will be get more dense then needed.
For your clouds it maybe might be an option if you would "sculpt" it out of maybe a bigger cube or sphere instead of combining a loot of spheres together.

Anyway a great idea indeed and that could come out really cool. Keep on!

# 8 20-10-2011 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
@publicFunction: Thanks, the octopus is going to get a lot of geometry on the body at leat, prob more ont he tentacles so they look smooth but I agree I might have detailed stuff a bit too fast.
I did not convert with mesh smooth no I just pressed 3 on my keyboard.

@ThexDuke: Thanks man, appreciate the encouragement. At first I tried to use nurbs for the clouds but I had too much of hard time merging shapes together so I decided playa round with subD but couldn't achieve what I wanted so decided to go with poly spheres and the popcorn style clouds I wanted to achieve went pretty well I think. How would you go with a cube? extrude faces in different places and when you smooth it becomes round?

# 9 24-10-2011 , 02:19 AM
Subscriber
Some updates, added the eyes and the tongue:

user added image

Wireframes:

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 10 24-10-2011 , 07:40 AM
You just create a cube and subdivide it (smooth) maybe 2 or three times, that should be enough resolution for sculpting the geometry. Use the Sculpt Geometry Tool and bring your clouds in shape. I used a simple Lambert here with almost white for color and a bit darker Ambient and a lil bit of transperancy.

Attached Thumbnails