Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-02-2008 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Cartoon Theme-park

Hey everyone just thought i'd post some of my WIP. Im doing a cartoon theme-park (based on a tutorial i've seen). Could use some constructive criticism. Here's the clown tent not quite finished but nearly there.

Next i'll do a coconut shy and some similar stalls (shooting gallery) then probably a ghost train and log flume.

So if anyone else has any good ideas to put in the theme park then tell me

Cheers Al

Attached Images
# 2 18-02-2008 , 10:22 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks like a nice start.

If your going to be modeling an entire theme park, then I would recommend using Mental Rays Approximation Editor to create Rendered Subdivisions. This way you can have your Lo-Polys base meshes in scene whilst operating, yet have them Render smooth in Mental Ray. This will save on memory, and make things allot easier to operate.

Also use Display layers for your objects, or groups of objects. This way you can have you entire theme park in one scene, but operate on certain areas individually by hiding the others on they're separate layers. This will also help save on memory Lag.

Thats pretty much all I have for advice, though you may have known about these things before, but if not.... there great tools to use.

As for things to add to the Theme park. You could have a Ghost Train, Roller coaster, Petting zoo, also you might like to have a little 'Cabinet of curiosities' there always a good touch user added image

Anyway, what you've got so far is looking real good!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 18-02-2008 , 11:48 PM
Subscriber
big job.., you'll need a 'ground' to [ut them on unless you make the assets in different scenes and reference them later into one.., just another way ob doing it.., thats how the tut goes anyway

good luck

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 19-02-2008 , 10:53 AM
Subscriber
Yeah i going to create each asset first, and make just simple low-poly proxies to place them in my scene and get the position right. then i'll bring the assets in by reference. It seems the best way of doing it.

I'll start the ghost train this weekend. I will have a skull as the train entrance like the clown tent. Might even put the SM haunted house in somewhere.

Cheers for your advice

much appreciated

Al

# 5 20-02-2008 , 04:30 AM
wow that's a pretty creepy lookin' clown... not sure if i'd want to walk into that guy's mouth.

two things you could include are the 'guess your weight' stand with the large scale, and the 'test your strength' pole where you whack the target to send the thing up to ring the bell at the top

ooooh also one of those short trailers that makes the elephant ears, fried dough, and cotton candy!

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 07-03-2008 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
hey thanx for all your ideas. It taken me ages to get round to doing more stuff for the funpark, Here's a coconut shy. Please give it some CC.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 07-03-2008 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
And here's what i've been working on recently.

Thanx again

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 07-03-2008 , 04:02 PM
this is embarrassing, i don't know what a coconut shy is.

Accept no substitutions.
# 9 07-03-2008 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
haha, must be a British thing. Its a stall we have over here (although i havent seen one in a while) where you throw a ball at a coconut to try and knock it off its stand... and the prize for doing this incredible feat you might ask?... a coconut.

I havent seen one in years but theyre usually at small school fairs.

# 10 07-03-2008 , 04:12 PM
lol you throw a ball at a coconut to win a coconut?

and is this something that's considered difficult to do, or not really cause you only win a coconut?

Accept no substitutions.
# 11 07-03-2008 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber

# 12 07-03-2008 , 04:24 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
lol you throw a ball at a coconut to win a coconut?

and is this something that's considered difficult to do, or not really cause you only win a coconut?

All depends if the coconuts glued down!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 07-03-2008 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
yeah was gonna mention that, think they call that type of thing 'shenanigans' in America. Is that right?

Anyway any CC on my work? Could do with some pointers

# 14 07-03-2008 , 05:10 PM
well the clown tent looks pretty good. nothing i can think of to add to it at the moment. the coconut shy looks cool, although it's kinda barren... but at the same time i don't know how they're supposed to look so uh yea.

the last thing you've got i'm assuming is the start of one of those shooting ranges where all the little things with the bulls-eyes pop up and you gotta shoot 'em. i only say that cause it's got a western feel to it. if it's a bar or some other thing i can't tell, but the modeling is done pretty well there. i'm sure when it's textured it'll look even better.

Accept no substitutions.
# 15 07-03-2008 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
cool, thanks for that,

The coconut shy is kinda barren I agree, ive got to watch how much detail i put in cos of rendering the whole fly through later.

As for the shooting gallery i will add targets to stuff in the bar scene. Its based on a shooting gallery when i was young where the targets were static on a western scene. I plan to put things like bottles and a wanted poster into the scene.

Thanx for your input, its most appreciated