Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-06-2004 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber

Another little thing im working on

here is a short walk cycle of my robot character im working on...this is also the first walk cycle ive ever done so dont be to harsh : ) anyway let me know what you think...i also recommend downloading the file so it can be looped, doesnt look to good watching just one cycle : )

Walk Cycle

# 2 02-06-2004 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
here is an orbit of the armor i built at an earlier stage...mainly - the head and hands : )

armor orbit

# 3 02-06-2004 , 02:54 AM
Not a bad start.. the walk has all the elements...but as of right now its a bit stiff.. try adding a bit more rotations in the hips and shoulders....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 02-06-2004 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
yea, i wasnt trying to do anything to fancy with this one : ) he def, needs to loosen up a bit, but in his defense he is a robot. However im really not shooting for robotic motion at all, i want him to be extremely agile, thanks for the feedback kurt. If you think of anything else, let me know : )

# 5 02-06-2004 , 03:21 AM
Here is a fast walk cycle i did last night... about a hour of work.. He still needs to be a bit more lose but look at his rotations to get ideas for your guy

Attached Files
File Type: zip walkmene.zip (705.0 KB, 183 views)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 02-06-2004 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber
another very quick animation i did to test the rig setup

robot dancing

# 7 02-06-2004 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
that is one odd looking dance user added image
I like the model tho, and the walk cycle is also nice . Good work.

# 8 02-06-2004 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
yea...its just a short little deal i did, and i rendered it out as an image sequence and stopped in the middle and forgot to reset the background color for the camera so its a pretty harsh transition in the middle : )

# 9 04-06-2004 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
another update, i gave him some actual motion this time, there are still problems of course..mostly to do with my rig..which has a few issues, i cant seem to get him to animate across a scene, and have his feet stick in the same place on the ground so there is a lot of slide...i have a few ideas for this but if anyone can help pls let me know : ), also his knees snap back to the IK line a few times which is annoying to see...and i should have given him some head movement...but thats my fault : )

anyway..heres the clip:

happy walk

he is supposed to be happy with a bit of a bounce..and i didnt want to just have his hands at his side so i have him dragging one on that wall..... tell me what you guys think and any suggestions you have, thanks : )

# 10 04-06-2004 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
I like that last animation, quite nice.
But if you have problems with rigging check out this tutorial it helped me alot during my rigging problems.

# 11 04-06-2004 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
ok, did this last night before i went to bed...im starting to get the hang of it, most of the slip is gone (you probably wont catch it in this vid unless your really good : ) ) i also stayed away from swinging arms again because it just seems so boring....he starts out with a swing and brings them up for a clap..unfortunatly my hands are still not completely rigged so no finger movement..but its coming : ) pls tell me what you guys think...

hallway walk

oh and if you could let me know what the average connection speed is around here so i can compress my vids accordingly, that would be great : )

# 12 04-06-2004 , 07:30 PM
All and all it is not bad.

I am in a 2D animation class right now and just finished the walk and run cycle. I do not have a place to put them to show you but I see a few problem areas and by no means am I an expert. Number one is hip and shoulder rotation. Here is a very quick figure of what I meen. The hips go up and the shoulders go down. A walk is a controlled fall. Maybe add a Slight forward lean. The other thing is the foot motion. Your feet do not travel in a parrallel path. The swing around your planted foot. That is also in the diagram. Try to walk keaping your feet in a parrallel motion. You will instantly notice it seems wierd.

I hope this helps.

One more thing. You have his arms swinging in sink with his legs. They should be opposite. When his right leg is coming forward his right arm should be swinging back. It is a counter balance thing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 04-06-2004 , 07:33 PM
I just watched Kurt's. very nice for a short works. Nice double bounce walk and he even got the secondary action of the hair. A true pro. The figure I drew was exagerated. He would seem a little feminine with that much swing but it gives you the idea I hope.

# 14 04-06-2004 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
yea, im still working out the kinks and the animation was done based on the clips i created in the trax editor so that is why they are so straight..i had it all setup and had to animate something : ) next one i do will def. correct the arm problem...it was pretty late, and this whole thing took a little less than an hour. the hips and the shoulders both have rotation...if it was any more it really starts to look more like a swagger and i dont want that...also, when i said that you would have to be very good to catch it i meant the slide of his foot on the ground, no other problem than that..as for kurts animation..i didnt realize that was a bounce..i thought it was a pretty noticable jump between the legs cycling i could be wrong, and the whole thing looked like he was running in slow motion, i love the model and hair though and cant wait to see the animation come along for that, if your still checking this post kurt id like to see a rendered animation : )...not enough people on here with animation WIP's...id like to see more since that really is the best way to learn : ) more to come soon and i certainly appreciate any more feedback you guys have to offer