Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-11-2004 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber

Velociraptor... I HOPE !

Hi guys.. I am trying to model a Velociraptor please tell me HONESTLY what you think and any tips or comments welcome.
At the moment i havn`t modeled the body/tail much so thats why they don`t look right but i`m working on it.
I modeled it on a wooden model i brought and took a side and a front photo to base it on.
Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-11-2004 , 10:45 PM
Honestly, right now it looks more like the startings for a Compy than a Raptor. It's neck looks much too snake like, it'd be more stiff. It also looks like it's hunched too much in the forward view.

# 3 03-11-2004 , 10:46 PM
Also, it's tail is way too wide. It'd taper down a lot more, it should be more cyllendrical, not rectangular. same with the legs.

# 4 03-11-2004 , 10:47 PM
Not to bad mate... Just more proportion issues.. I've attached adino I modeled for you too look at. Ii's not a raptor but close should be able to see shape a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 04-11-2004 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have attached a pic of the wooden model that i am basing it on with the ghost of what i have done so far.
I know the body is way out and the tail is but i havn`t touched them much.
And i`m glad i`m not the only one to think it looks more like a compy but i`m working on that.
I`m a REAL newbe as you can tell but i have been getting into 3d for about a month and on this model for just about a week so i think i am doing quite well at the mo.
Thanks for the pic Kurt, gives me some thing to work on and if you don`t mind me asking but how long does it take roughly to make a model like that ? I know i got a LONG way to go yetuser added image
As i have said this is a very basic model at the mo but i`m getting there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-11-2004 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
Hi, sorry for no updates YET !!! watch this space as thanks to Kurts dragon video tutorial i am doing a total re-model at the moment to see if i can do it based on his way.
A GREAT Tutorial Kurt, Thanks.

# 7 06-11-2004 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber
Looks a little wide aswell.

# 8 09-11-2004 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
After almost a week i`m almost there apart from the detail part.
I`ve been watching Kurts Dragon tutorial and basicly started from scratch with a whole new model. See what you think guys and any comments welcome. I`ve YET to stich the model as one that is why there is a gap on the head. From the side it looks pritty good if i do say so myself, just the front view looks a bit naff but i`m working on it. Thanks Kurt for your dragon tutorial, it`s great, i`ve got all parts for the body but only got parts 1 & 2 of the head tutorial at the mo.
I`ve modeled around the Jurassic Park 3 raptors this time not on the wooden model. Tell me what you think so far.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 09-11-2004 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
The Front....

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 09-11-2004 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
And the Persp.
Fogot to say, He has no teeth or gums in yet but he is going to the dentist any day now.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 09-11-2004 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
That's looking really good, good idea to ditch the wooden model reference. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing teeth and colour,

Mat.

# 12 09-11-2004 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
Looks much better than your first attempt, good work. The arms look a little too muscely atm, try and make them slightly skinnyer.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 13 10-11-2004 , 02:39 PM
It looks good so far, but I think the head just needs to be a tad smaller, and the neck a little more elongated (but not as elongated as in the first attempt at your Velociraptor). Also, I think the arms need to be a little thinner as well. Ahhh...brings back old memories of all of the velociraptor artworks I did. :cheeky:

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 14 17-11-2004 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
Hi again, sorry not too much of an update just a bit more detail, have made arms and the head smaller and done the teeth and the tounge but the jaw is shut at the mo so i have done a render of the inside to show. The tounge will be done proper when i merge the whole lot together. I am going to atempt the texturing part to see what it looks like then and then maybe add more detail then. Thanks for the comments guys all helps.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 17-11-2004 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber
And the teeth.

Attached Thumbnails