Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-09-2006 , 05:23 PM

IK Trouble

I started reading a book called "Learning Maya 7: Foundation," and I'm up to the IK chapter.

In the this chapter, they want me to add an RPSolver Handle on the legs of the model, which worked out fine.

Though, when they wanted me to create the foot so that it would "roll from the heel to the toe," the front of the foot would actually connect it's self to the heel of the model.

Here's a video of what I did:
Video

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by Peregrin; 15-09-2006 at 05:28 PM.
# 2 15-09-2006 , 06:17 PM
ya know what's funny, kurt has a tutorial on how to do a leg setup, and it's only 2 points... if ya have any points, check it out. other than that, i'm still surfing the web to see if i find any step-by-step tuts that might make life a little easier...

if i were to just watch the video and take a guess as to what you're doing wrong, the only thing i can come up with is the last orient constrant (the one that flipped the foot), cause you didn't go into your option box, and there might be something there that could reverse the effect you have *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 16-09-2006 , 11:25 AM
hey - I had the same problem a few days ago on the same chapter!

After doing a search on the autodesk discussion groups I found the solution.

here's a quote and the link -

After orient constraining the control joints to the reverse foot, you need to change the "Constraint Attributes / Offset" value of the orient constraints. This can be done by selecting the constraint (in the Outliner), it is created directly under the corresponding joints in the "pelvis" hierarchy; opening the Attribute Editor, and changing the value from 0 to 180. Do this for your 4 orient constraints (if you follow the book you create 2 for each leg). The selection order indicated by the book is correct though, first select the control joint, then shift-select the leg chain joint.

https://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...sageID=5286752

it seemed to work for me.

user added image

# 4 16-09-2006 , 05:54 PM
Worked great.
Thanks a lot, this lesson's been frustrating me for days.