Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-02-2012 , 01:36 AM

Newbie Question

Hi everyone.

I'm having issues with an assignment that I'm working on, and the first time around it was going well, but then all of a sudden the barrel of the rifle exploded and I couldn't get it back. So, basically, I have been trying to redo it, and now I'm having a different issue. When I extrude it leaves the X while Im pulling back the face to create the inside barrel.

I haven't been able to NOT get an X everytime I do it.

Please help!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-02-2012 , 02:16 AM
EduSciVis-er
Edit mesh > keep faces together. If it's not checked, you will get the faces extruding individually as you see in your image.

# 3 08-02-2012 , 02:51 AM

That was it!

I feel stupid!

Thank you again. I should be paying you the $75 thousand instead of Full Sail. You've responded quicker than they ever have.

Tanks a billion!

Sean

ps. They still havent replied yet!

# 4 08-02-2012 , 02:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
No problem. I wouldn't say no to 75K...

# 5 22-02-2012 , 03:40 AM

Weird stuff in animation

Hey all.

Thanks for everyones' help. I do however have another question.

My character has his keysets in the animation and when I go through the timeframe, some things like his leg goes through his thigh and various issues like that. What can I do to avoid that? I know it's Maya calculating how to get to that next point, but I don't know how to fix that.

Thanks again.

Seanuser added image

# 6 22-02-2012 , 04:15 AM
Subscriber
I don't animate in Maya, but the easiest solution would probably be to create new keyframes in the problem spots and manually move the leg or whatever is causing the problem out of the way. It's common issue in all animation programs, the program just moves the objects in straight lines using math.. it doesn't know how it's supposed to move.

# 7 22-02-2012 , 06:08 AM
Technical Director

I don't animate in Maya, but the easiest solution would probably be to create new keyframes in the problem spots and manually move the leg or whatever is causing the problem out of the way. It's common issue in all animation programs, the program just moves the objects in straight lines using math.. it doesn't know how it's supposed to move.

Or just modify the motion curves. See here for an introduction: https://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=96

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 22-02-2012 , 10:14 AM
Lifetime Member

No problem. I wouldn't say no to 75K...

Hooly dooly.....stwert!.....I pay 2/3rd of that in tax!!!! crikey

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 22-02-2012 , 03:11 PM
EduSciVis-er

the program just moves the objects in straight lines using math.. it doesn't know how it's supposed to move.

Not always, you can get a fair amount of control with curves... change the tangents of the keyframes as NextDesign says to get better results and then add more keyframes where necessary to tweak it.

# 10 22-02-2012 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
You're right. As I said I never animated in Maya, but I'll try. I know some 2d software also allows to adjust the movement using graph editor but it's very counter-intuitive and takes longer than just making new keys, so I was used to only using the graph to adjust timing.