Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 151 23-08-2011 , 12:07 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 152 26-08-2011 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber

Hey thanks Dave

Yes, Im actually testing a SSS version now, its looking 100times better already without the other maps.

For the record, I did the texture projections in Mari. The reason was because I have an issue with the spotlight plugin in Zbrush which Im looking into sorting out. The problem in ZB is that when you 'bake the face texture to the mesh/map one half completely disappears as if the normals or uvs are flipped on the model (they aren't for the record) so if anyone has encountered this and solved please let me know as I' rather use Zbrus as I know it better.

cheers
Jay

I've been wondering what you mean by this, Jay...as in, the disappearing half in Zbrush. Do you mean like, when you convert the polypaint to texturemap? I've used spotlight a few days ago, and exported the colour map from the result with little problem. My main bug bear was that, having applied the face texture from a photo to the front of the head mesh, it was a pain to match the textures on the side views so that there was no noticeable borders between the two. But I don't think this is what you mean.

Those test renders look lovely. Both the colour, and black and white versions.

# 153 26-08-2011 , 11:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No mate.

The problem was my uvs were sitting exactly on the outer edge of the 0 - 1 space in the uv editor. I found out that zbrush doesnt like it. So I moved the uv's in a bit and it is all fine now.

Yeah with the projections do them a bit at a time and then save out separate maps and then correct the colors etc in ps and put them all together there.

cheers
J

# 154 26-08-2011 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
Ah. Hmm...ok. Never thought of that. I'll be using Spotlight again maybe at the weekend or next week....I'll give that a try.

Thinking ahead: Letting Uv master lay out my uvs for me might not be too helpful in that case... unless I bring my obj back to Maya to make sure I snapshot the uvs so i can see where the 'boundaries of my puzzle' are in Photoshop???Hmm...that's a bridge to be crossed once/if, I can get happy with my model.

Cheers Jay

# 155 26-08-2011 , 11:53 AM
Nice & clean! Cool buddy user added image

# 156 26-08-2011 , 01:27 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice to see some more work on this! The likeness is great. Are there some disp or normal issues on the end of the nose in the latest renders?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 157 26-08-2011 , 01:34 PM
Thanks guys

@Mayaniac: No mate, no dis maps or normals on it at all.... its just the version of the color map projection straight out of mari. It was a wip but has since been redone in Zbrush as I prefer its workflow for creating the maps. Its looking much nicer now. Will try and post up later.

I also want to tweak the earlobes and the eyelid thickness. Seeing all the stuff rendered in color now I can see what the big prob areas are.....

Jay

# 158 26-08-2011 , 09:23 PM
Update....

still a few corrections to do and mesh tweaks as well.........

until then - enjoy

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 159 26-08-2011 , 09:42 PM
The thin red line
Thant texture is comming along nicely, lips look great. Eye braws look a little strong but that might change when you texture the eyes...........dave

PS: is there going to be a tutorial in the future

# 160 26-08-2011 , 09:47 PM
SM Tea Boy
Dave it might if I can get him drunk enough he agrees while under the influence user added image

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 161 26-08-2011 , 10:07 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Very nice.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 162 26-08-2011 , 10:08 PM
cheers Dave and Dave and mayaniac.

With regard to her brows.....have a look on google.......scary

Jay

# 163 01-09-2011 , 05:05 PM
Update

am doing lots of tweaks around the eyes at the moment, place in a test set of lashes to make sure they will work for me....they are so am pleased with those...wil finish those once the final stages of the eyes are done. need to close up the lacrimal area a bit as its too wide.....

for now

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 164 01-09-2011 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
eyes and the hair look great

# 165 01-09-2011 , 06:57 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
very very cool work