Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2003 , 03:20 PM

Influencing the SubDivTesselation

First of all sorry for the bad english!

is there a way to influence the net(tesselation?) of a subd-object.
i've tried the standard functions but the result isnt satisfying at all. it looks like the example in the teeth-thread.

I`m modeling a head using subd. but the subdfaces aren't perfect quadpolys. also extruding the proxymesh produces a quiete unusual behavior of the subd-object.
what confuses me is that most professionell subd-structures consists of a perfect quadmesh. how can i achieve this. i guess they convert the subd-mesh into polys but this way i loose all of the advantages of subd.

Last edited by cl10k; 10-02-2003 at 06:07 PM.
# 2 24-02-2003 , 03:30 AM

Hand

Hello, Cl10k.
I'm modeling a hand use Subdivision surface too.
If you can upload the .mb file to the website or me?

# 3 24-02-2003 , 02:03 PM
When working with sub-d's its a good idea to change the sub-d into a complete poly. Than go polygon>quadrangulate, this will turn the model in all quads. Than turn the model back into a sub-d....

To be honest I never use the proxy mesh I just convert back and forth from poly to sub-d when I model....I find proxy mode fustrating.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 06-03-2003 , 12:18 PM
Hi,

A method that I find useful is to model using either smooth Proxy, or CPS tools. When the poly object is finished I then convert to SubD and switch to 'proxy' mode to texture and bind.

Maya's Subd's become pretty slow (interactivity wise) when using with large meshes. Also, last time I tried (Maya 4.0) tools like artisan paint select and sculpt poly didn't work real well with SubD.

also here is a really nice poly/Subd tut for Max that can be easily interpreted for Maya.

https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...c/joanmenu.asp

Always aim for 4 point poly's. think of an individual poly as a sheet of rubber being stretched evenly from 4 different sides. Now think of a 3 or 5 pointed sheet of rubber being stretched around the sides. A four pointed poly will smooth/subd better because the poly's are (like a quilt) more evenly stretched, etc.. hope this makes sense.

re jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....