Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-09-2003 , 05:47 PM

Nickelodeon Puppet

Bogey is a Puppet I have performed on Nick here in the UK for the last 10 years. I'm leaving next month, so I though that rather than send one of those gushing e mails that people send when they leave... I was going to do a little e mail animation to say thanks for the last ten years as he walks down a corridor lined with photo's of his, mine and the channels finest moments...

As a puppet, he's pretty basic. No animatronics on this one. All his character comes from my wrist and mouth. But CG affords me to give him sneers, blinks, smiles etc etc etc so hopefully they will see him do stuff that he has never done before. Oh, and he never had legs up until this week. He's got quite a dark side, which I am hoping to bring to the animation... Especially seeing as that its part of an internal "goodbye and thanks" e mail.

As far as the modelling and texturing is concerned, its a bit of a rushed affair (O.K... very rushed!), as I really want to work on my Groover Short as well... but here he is as a WIP and I have also attached a pic of the real him from a snap taken in between Studio takes.

Also, I'm looking for some good fur tutorials... I have asked Gnomon if one is in the pipeline and there are plans afoot, so what you see is basic and trial and error. A lot of trial, and infinite error user added imageuser added imageuser added image = user added image .5

I have come to the very astute conclusion that fur is not one of the things I want to get into without some guidance.

I have set myself a deadline for next Friday. So that’s rigging, skinning, set built and animation done. A day to do the sound and then of it goes! All that in a week where 3D is banned at weekends (I’m married) and I have to work elsewhere on Weds... so I only have 4 full days. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Still...

Crits and comments are always welcome....

The real one....

user added image

and the not so real one...

user added image

www.craigcrane.com
# 2 17-09-2003 , 10:38 PM
Hahaha how cool is that. I still watch Nick every now and then when Im bored, and Disney Channel isnt showing cartoons user added image

# 3 17-09-2003 , 11:29 PM
Toon Disney is best for cartoons!

I especially love Recess, Pepper Ann, The Weekenders and Lloyd in Space user added image

But when is bogey going? will this animation be featured on TV? user added image

# 4 18-09-2003 , 12:18 AM
Recess is truely cool. Though my new fav has to be Kim Possible user added image

# 5 18-09-2003 , 12:43 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
Now THIS I've gotta see.

I'm not sure how you're going to get that animation small enough for email, unless perhaps you put it up on the 'net and send him a link. (is it going to be really short?)

Your 3d version is close enough to the puppet that, considering your deadline, I would be happy with it.

Me and THIS army!
# 6 18-09-2003 , 07:57 AM
Officially, bogey left in March... butthey keep asking him back for bits and bobs... but my last contracted day is this month because I do other puppets on the channel as well.

The animation wont be for broadcast purposes, jut for the staff.... hence the e mail. But once its done Ill post it on my web as well so you can all see.

www.craigcrane.com