Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-05-2007 , 03:42 AM

Texturing problem

I'm admitedly a NuBe to Maya. My experience so far has been restricted to polygons, building static meshes for video games, of which I've successfully created dozens. But I've run across a problem which completely confuses me, I'm hoping someone here might be of assistance. I'm using v8.5.

In the process of assigning textures (materials ) and UV mappings to the different faces of one particular polygon, one of the faces (of the four which are seen) will only show it's assigned texture and UV mapping when the entire polygon is selected as an object. As soon as the object is deselected, that particular face reverts to the default shading, as though one had hit key 5. None of the other faces of the same polygon behave this way, they all show their assigned textures and UV mappings (in texture display mode, i.e. key 6). If one selects just that one face in component mode, it also does not show it's texture/mapping, making it all but impossible to correctly assign a UV mapping since I can't see the results while I'm doing it.

To sum up:

One polygon, four faces.
Only one face misbehaves.
The misbehaving face only shows it's assigned texture when the polygon is selected as an object.

What in the world could be causing this? I have not (knowingly) done anything different for this particular face than than I have for hundreds of other polygons/face in the past, and they all worked just as expected.

Many thank in advance for your help.

# 2 09-05-2007 , 04:12 AM

texture prob

check to see if the normal is facing the right way

# 3 09-05-2007 , 01:32 PM
Good idea, but I already checked the normal, it's as it should be. Any other ideas? I'm really stumped on this one.

# 4 09-05-2007 , 06:38 PM
Senior Software Developer
Look at the UV Texture Editor and make sure all textures exist with in the 0 -1 space. The Grid square in the top right corner.

Sounds like its not mapped correctly.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 09-05-2007 , 11:04 PM
Nope, that's not it either. I tried remapping the UVs using "automatic mapping", which as far as I can tell always maps everything to the upper right quadrant. Same problem, no change.

# 6 10-05-2007 , 08:22 AM
Well, I don't understand why, but when I assigned a material to the mesh while it was selected as an object (as opposed to assigning to individual faces) the problem went away. Something got "stuck" in Maya, I don't know what, which was cleared by this process. I'll probably never know. Anyway, it's working as expected now. user added image Thanks to everyone for your help.