Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-12-2007 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber

Very slow after upgrading to Dual Core - NOW FIXED!

The problem i've got is i have just upgraded my cpu to an AMD 4200+ X2, dual core.
When in the main viewpoints, it is now very slow and takes what seems forever to just rotate the camera around.

Putting it on high quality makes it much faster but only a little sluggish.

CPU goes upto 50%, only really useing core 0 at 100%, however rendering takes both cores to 100%.
(Render globals have got use all cpu's checked)

Games use both cores aswell.

I never had this problem when i was running a single core (3700+), and i don't want to change cpu's when modeling then rendering.

Has anyone any ideas of what might be the culprit or what to do as modeling is now unuseable.

I have tried re-installing Maya, deleting prefs and reg.

Specs , useing Maya 6.0, Windows XP Pro SP2 :

Abit AV8,
AMD 4200+ X2 Dual Core,
2GB Ram,
BFG Geforce 7800GS OC.

Last edited by flamemaster; 01-01-2008 at 04:34 AM.
# 2 25-12-2007 , 10:14 PM
You didnt say what OS you are running so none of this may be useful to you. XP is known to be not optimised for dual core cpu's and there is a patch from MS for this. It states in the patch that its for game performance but maybe it helps for other things as well.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944/

AMD also have a seperate utility available called the dual core optimizer which may or may not make a difference.

https://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

Hope some of this helps.

# 3 25-12-2007 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, i'll try the MS patch whan i get home.

It's XP SP2, sorry about that.

I did try out the AMD optimizer and it made no difference.

One thing i tried this morning was that i use a 2 monitor setup, when i disable the second monitor, it runs smooth again, same as if i have both enabled but turn off the acceration on the second monitor, runs smooth again.
It's never done that before on the old cpu, worked great then.

Also to add, i have tried 2 different installs of XP, the other being my games only drive, that has up to date drivers on everything but same results in Maya now.

If i went out and got that dreded vista, would this solve my problems with the dual core ?

MS patches are only for MS's own games.

Last edited by flamemaster; 25-12-2007 at 11:46 PM.
# 4 26-12-2007 , 12:20 AM
I think the patch from MS is more an OS type patch than a game specific patch... so should work for all games i reckon.

Cant say if going to Vista will solve the problem but Vista was designed to make use of dual core processors so who knows. Cant you borrow a Vista disk somewhere and do a trial install first before buying it? You can install Vista without a key so if you can borrow someones disc first to test it could save you money. You can use it for 30 days if i remember correctly.

I have a dual boot system with both XP SP2 and Vista on and I cant really see a difference in viewport performance between the 2 OS's. Then again.. I am just starting out with Maya so havent loaded any complicated scenes or anything.

I almost would have thought that your problems would be more graphics card related than cpu related... drawing the viewports seems more of a graphics thing than a processing task.... very strange problem indeed.

# 5 26-12-2007 , 12:26 AM
Maya 6 isnt multi threaded supported so it will only use one core, what might have happened is that your using only 1 core that is slower than the single core processor.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 26-12-2007 , 12:29 AM
Thats a very good point. I didnt know that Maya 6 didnt support multi-threading. What you say makes sense.

# 7 26-12-2007 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
Thanks.
I did make sure i went for the same speed, single core 2.2ghz, dual 2.2ghz x2.
I used to model on an 1.3ghz and that was smooth.

I may be able to borrow a friends disc, well i have fixed his machine a few times so maybe a little nudge i might be able to borrow it user added image

Other than that, it looks like i'll have to model with the single and when i get round to animating/rendering, put the dual in.

------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE
------------------------------------------------------------------
It's still bad but seems to be an conflict between CPU and graphics card maybe...

When in dualview(gfx card), milti display and with multi monitor acceleration, maya is slow and even crashes.) CPU core 0: 0-50%, core1: 0-5%. (second core NOT used)

When still in dualview BUT single monitor acceleration, Maya works perfect again, just that i won't be able to use hypershade and other menus on second monitor(non-accelerated). CPU core0:0-50+%, core1: 0-50+% (second core used)

Same result if i put it on single monitor only, works perfect.

This is leading me to think there is a conflict.

I have messed around in bios, adjusted clock speeds etc, no difference.

Gfx card drivers have no effect, tried 3 different versions.

Games work perfect though and useing both cores, same also with Maya when rendering.

This is puzzling. Tomorrow i will put in single core to test again.:angery:

Last edited by flamemaster; 26-12-2007 at 08:01 AM.
# 8 26-12-2007 , 02:53 PM
Maya 6.0 is not multithreaded?

How about 6.5? Its the version I have and it seems to be using both my processors.

As for the dual core CPU being slower than the single core one, don't think its a XP issue. I believe all NT based versions of Windows are capable of using more than one core or processor. Also, I don't think its becuase one of the dual core CPU's cores is slower than the single core CPU, If I am not mistaken, the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ has got two Athlon 64 4000+ cores, so one of its cores it should be slightly faster than the 3700+ anyways.

This may not apply, but was the BIOS updated?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 26-12-2007 at 02:57 PM.
# 9 26-12-2007 , 09:18 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
Maya 6.0 is not multithreaded?

How about 6.5? Its the version I have and it seems to be using both my processors.

I think that 8.5 was the first to be able to use both cores for geneal work (simulations etc etc)

For rendering its had multi processor support since can remember

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 27-12-2007 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help peeps but i have given up for now.

I was able to borrow a Vista disc but when i tried it out i found it very unstable with Maya, e.g. when you press space the viewpoint went white until i rotate/move the camera and also craching alot, although it was running at a good speed.

I even tried a new install of XP, still no difference, running slow.

Tried verious versions of graphic drivers on both OS.

I have now gone back to the single core.

The only thing i can think about is the motherboard (Abit AV8), when i first got it about a year ago, the CPU didn't work with it so i had to order a bios chip, then it's worked great. It was running the latest when i got this new cpu.

When i get time again i will try and hotflash an old bios chip for the last m/board i used(Asus A8V) to see if it all works on that.

Thanks anyways.

# 11 29-12-2007 , 07:01 PM
You should try some simple checkups like virus scan, disk defragmenter and disk cleanup. And try dusting the hard drive. Dust can really slow a pc down.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 12 30-12-2007 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Thanks but i pritty much ruled all that out as i have tried it on 3 different hard drives, the drive i use for maya, my games drive (which also has everything up to date) and also a spare old 20gb drive which had new clean installs of XP and then Vista, all had the same performance in Maya but only the viewpoints are slow, renders are fast.

On my single core now, everything is back to normal again.

I have ordered a bios chip for the other board, will hopefully get that going at the weekend and will let you know.

I even tried last night messing around with the affinity settings, even tried another app to alter the settings between the cores, e.g. only core 1, only core 2 or both cores, no difference.

# 13 01-01-2008 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
Boy, am i a happy bunny now, FIXED IT.

The problem was the graphics drivers, strange concidering i just changed the cpu and it was fine before that.

I was useing version-97.92, which worked great in Maya and games, until the cpu change.

As in last posts, i have only tried newer drivers but this morning i tried an older version-83.91, works great and very fast in maya user added image

And the good thing is that as i run maya on it's own drive, i can keep it on the older drivers and it won't interfear with my games which can keep the newer drivers.

Thanks again for all the help peeps.