Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-10-2008 , 02:35 PM

Character Skeleton (about orienting joints)

I have a questioning about orienting the joints so it will be easier to animate my character. Do I need to have the x all facing the child joints with y in back? Or do I have all X facing down, Y in back, Z in front? This is my first time rigging a character. Any help would be great.

user added image

# 2 03-10-2008 , 06:17 PM
personally i have x down the chain and z positioned for my main axis of rotation for a limb. Use a script like template skleton LE or just look on high end 3d

# 3 03-10-2008 , 06:51 PM
Where can i find the script template skleton LE? I don't know what that is.

# 4 04-10-2008 , 02:07 AM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
look on high end 3d

Maybe?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 04-10-2008 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
Honestly I am a noob at orienting rotational axis, but following from what I have read, When creating an IK chain it is best to have the x following the child. When creating FK chain it is best to have Y following the chain. The other axis will follow the world axis.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.