Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 05-12-2008 , 07:46 AM
Lens flares, haha, reminds me of the Mental Roy rant in this months 3d world.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 05-12-2008 , 07:49 AM
The Nurb Herd
can we see some of your work to date?

# 18 05-12-2008 , 08:09 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123
Lens flares, haha, reminds me of the Mental Roy rant in this months 3d world.

why?

# 19 05-12-2008 , 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Lens flare got a bad rap because when people discovered it gave a certain "touch" to their images, they started using it in situations where it wasn't even appropriate and just generally abusing it to the point where it became kind of a cheesy joke which in turn, caused people to shy away from using it even when the situation called for it.

- Genny
# 20 05-12-2008 , 09:13 AM
If you read it then you would know, its a bit of an off topic light harted rant.

Pretty much saying that where in photography/film they try to eliminate these parts as there imperfections, based off the restrictions in lenses and cameras, the 3d community has embraced these as the "added realism", which then gets cained by everyone (AO, GI, FG, MR sun and sky, HDR, DOF to name a few) till its used stupidly by everyone.

And in the light harted rant, he then says some improvements tat could be made such as adding flickering on a alternaing colour strip when animated, or adding MPEG 2 compression so it looks like its form sky tv.

Yeah though Gennys right with that, its like people saying "ohh if you want it realistic render in mental ray with some HDR and Gi with some DOF" sorta works but it dosent.

# 21 05-12-2008 , 10:47 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
which issue it that? the animal one?

# 22 05-12-2008 , 06:24 PM
The one with the witch on the front.

# 23 05-12-2008 , 09:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Ah, thats why i dont get it, i thought you ment the animal one (ive had the issue for a week now...)

# 24 07-12-2008 , 10:34 AM
my work to date is well non existent im just starting modeling and the lens flar will look really good if it will work out off of a reflaction from the plate armor im making i just gotta make it real reflactive and have a spotlight on it and then an area light behind it to look like the sun for the very short outdoors part of this im not doing the lens flare cause i think its cool im not that much of a noob but ill find this one picture that makes the lens flare look retarded its good for a laugh once in a while

# 25 08-12-2008 , 06:02 PM

Originally posted by trwilliams
my work to date is well non existent im just starting modeling and the lens flar will look really good if it will work out off of a reflaction from the plate armor im making i just gotta make it real reflactive and have a spotlight on it and then an area light behind it to look like the sun for the very short outdoors part of this im not doing the lens flare cause i think its cool im not that much of a noob but ill find this one picture that makes the lens flare look retarded its good for a laugh once in a while

....and breath. user added image

# 26 08-12-2008 , 09:24 PM
haha uhh yeahi usually type in sentences just not on forums cause i sorta rant but i don't do this in real life just on forums i swear i stop... to breath anyway...... so heres the ridiculous solar flare in lower quality cause this forum is ghey with its file size

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 09-12-2008 , 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
Well you may want to consider throwing a comma and period in there once in a while lol as it can get confusing reading run-on sentences. And yeah, thats overkill on the lens flare to say the least. Is that a WoW screenshot? Horde powaaah!! <3

- Genny
# 28 09-12-2008 , 02:39 AM
Dont save it as a .gif use a jpeg or something.

# 29 09-12-2008 , 08:05 PM
the jpeg was too big

howaboutinotonlystopusingcommasandperiodsbutthrows pacesoutthewindowtoo!!!! lol thats way to much

yeah its a wow screenshot from some gay guild i used to be in but i rorolled horde cause allies suck and uhm yeah

i gots a big problem now though i made some particle effects and i don't know how to make them stop after a certain frame and its really bothering me cause there is no end frame option...

# 30 10-12-2008 , 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Did you save it out from Photoshop? If so, you can use the save for web option, and there should be a little arrow button up where you have the quality setting sliders, it'll give you the option to optimize to a file size. This allows you to keep very good quality but small file sizes.

You can make it stop by right clicking and setting keyframes on the rate attribute (I think its called rate, the one that determines the amount of particles emitted per sec). Lets say at frame 0 it emits 0 particles per second, at frame 50 it emits 400 per second, and this continues til about frame 150, at this point it stops so take the rate back down to 0 and set a keyframe on that. Have the emitter selected, open the Graph Editor and you'll an animation curve for those keys (you may have to select the rate attribute in the left column for it to show), select the curve and use Stepped Keys so theres no interpolation.

- Genny