Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-03-2005 , 06:35 AM

Rigid Skin: getting more than 1 joint influence?

hi

I've got a polygon model I've rigid skinned. Now i need to add more than 1 joint influence to a couple of the vertices.

Anyon know how to do this? Seems like if you start off with rigid skinning, it doesn't allow you to put the points in more than 1 joint membership?

I really don't wanna go back and skin it again using smooth skin... please help!

thanks
Lori

# 2 08-03-2005 , 06:19 AM
ok after much experimentation, i realise that you can't have more than 1 bone influence on a rigid skin vertex.

however you can increase or decrease the influence of that 1 bone on the vertex via painting weights (nearer or further from the bone).

hope that helps someone...

thanks for reading user added image

Lori

# 3 07-03-2006 , 05:31 AM

exporting rigid skin membership to a file?

I would like to know if is possible to import/export the membership and it's weights to a file.
PLEASE REPLY

# 4 25-03-2006 , 09:10 AM
Hi Lori,

You probably found a solution already by now but thought I would give you my thoughts incase you havent solved this issue.

The way you would get a smooth skin effect with rigid binding is to use something called "indirect binding" where instead of using the joints to drive the skin you use the joints to drive a lattice for example where you need better control....that way you can have smooth skin effect on parts that need it while using a rigid bind.