Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-08-2006 , 01:45 PM

Dice

Heres a little animation (really basic since i dint took the time to set the frame correctly), 2 mores dices will be add and animation will be more realistic and a background will be properwill add (maybe a crap table or only back floar with a proper lighting)

Attached Files
File Type: rar test.rar (105.4 KB, 204 views)
# 2 27-08-2006 , 06:52 PM
the die is definitely modeled well and the render looks great, but about the animation...

two things that bother me. first, i think the die spins WAY too fast. they look like they're nuclear powered or something. and second, at the end of the animation the die goes through the ground plane.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 28-08-2006 , 12:00 AM
Thx for the pointers...im modelling the craps table at the moment...the keying for the animation was really temp...
ill post a new update with the proper keying

thx :0

# 4 28-08-2006 , 01:24 AM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with my Strider on this...

But its not really the spinning of the Die in the air it's when it hits the table it's a little off (well quite badly off). On dealing with animation and improving it, remeber basics physics and kenetic energy. If the die hit the table at a huge spin speed then this is going to add to or and maintain its momentum/volocity, but this depends on what surafce it hits... zzzz zzzz zzzz... Back at school again LOL

My tip would be get a hold of a dice/or pair 'o' dice and study how it reacts on different surfaces. If you have a Camcorder/Video Camera use it to film this and use it as a reference.

It's only my advice, so you can tell me to go to hell user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 28-08-2006 , 01:51 AM
Heres the table...

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-08-2006 , 06:12 AM
I take it if you're keying it that you aren't using any dynamics? That's probably the way I'dve done it - am I wrong in this, or is this for a specific exercise, or might there be specific reasons to not use the dynamics?

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 7 28-08-2006 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
I would have to concur with Xander-0. The easiest way to get realism would be to use dynamics, and dice would be one of the simplest uses of dynamics out there! Of course, if you want it to land a certain way you may have to key it, and if you do I would take my time and study thrown dice to see exactly how they bounce and fall.

I really do like the way the dice came out!

Regards!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 8 28-08-2006 , 07:05 AM
A closer look

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 28-08-2006 , 08:53 AM
Nice work on the dice and the table.

For the animation I would concur that dynamics would be the best route for realism, setting passive keys to set up the initial movement then setting an active key to start the animation off under dynamics.

Keying it would be a right pain in the buttocks, so to speak, to get a very realistic movement.