Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2007 , 08:58 PM

Cutting out shapes?

HI Im new to Maya, I have just started using Maya's tutorial and now Im trying to make other objects, I have decided to take up the project of recreating a theater stage however I have hit a bump...My problem is that I cant and dont know how to cut simple shapes out of objects, for instance Im trying to cut a circle out of a square...So please could someone help me with this it would be much appreciated.

# 2 07-02-2007 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
What you do is:

1) move the cylinder so that it overlaps/ intersects the cube
2) select one object (the cube), then hold shift and select the other one (the cylinder)
3) In the toolbar at the top go to Polygons/ Booleans/ Difference

And that should do it user added image Try experimenting with the Union and Intersection settings and which item you select first; you'll get a lot of results to play with!

Good luck!

# 3 07-02-2007 , 11:47 PM

Thank You!

Wow that worked great thank you so much for the help!
I will play around with it and post my results later.

Thank you again I really Appreciate it and especially the fast response!

# 4 08-02-2007 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
No prob mate!
Hope to see your work soon on the WIP board!

# 5 09-02-2007 , 10:28 PM

Previous work...

Well this isnt the theater one but this is my previous work for now, what do you think for a beginner?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-02-2007 , 10:29 PM

Another...

and this one...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-02-2007 , 08:01 AM
your works are great for a newbie , but dont make it a habit of using Booleans too much, since they produce quite horrible results sometimes...

i also liked Booleans before but now i hate them cus they became a pain in the butt

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 8 10-02-2007 , 12:07 PM
Thanks Im sure I'll get the hang of the diffrent things in maya, not sure what you mean by boolean exactly, I know it in a whole as I program but animation side...is it diffrent?

# 9 10-02-2007 , 12:47 PM

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 10 10-02-2007 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Dude, those are some nice effects! I myself am quite new to Maya and I wouldn't have a clue how to make those effects. Nice work, keep it up! user added image

And thanks, DotNet for that link; it's proved useful to me user added image