Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-02-2015 , 10:20 AM

Problem with extruding

Hello, guys.
Can anybody help me, please.
I have stacked on a beginner volume №2, lesson 10, with making the handle.
When begin to extrude the duplicated form - it didn`t extrude in right way, it geometry breaks.
Why it may be.
I have checked all vertices - there no unconnected.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-02-2015 , 11:08 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
What is this from, is it a Simply Maya video?

Looking at the mesh in question, I'd firstly say its got too many polys, compared to the other object. Have you deleted history and or did you grab any other faces by accident when you extruded?

Also do you know about the world/local icon for the tool when you extrude? it may be a case of positioning of the tool after you have hit extrude. Its usually something simple, we all do it, at every level.

Jay

# 3 28-02-2015 , 01:31 PM
Thank you for replying.
I`m just the beginner in modeling, and I can don`t know some terms, and now I don`t know / understand what is the " the world/local icon for the tool when you extrude", what do you mean?
I have deleted the history and don`t grab other faces.
I`ll show you the sequence of my operations:
I have select neccessary Faces, then apply Duplicate operation,
then Delete the history, then Smoothing, then Delete unneccessary Faces on the new Shape, and then apply Extrude.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 28-02-2015 , 04:30 PM
what is the name of the tutorial?

I need to see exactly what the instructions are to understand where you are going wrong.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 28-02-2015 , 05:53 PM
this is from digital-tutors: "Quick Start to Modeling in Maya Volume 2", lesson numb.10

# 6 28-02-2015 , 11:36 PM
I just think its the local/world icon for the tool. when you extrude press the little blue icon before you move anything about that should do it....

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 01-03-2015 , 10:36 AM
The problem stays if I use smooth operation with 2 or more divisions.
If only 1 division - then extrude works fine.

# 8 01-03-2015 , 03:38 PM
delete history too!! It will work on both

# 9 01-03-2015 , 04:54 PM
After smoothing you might also want to set the maintain border edges switch to off in the smooth node and I agree with jay before doing the extrudes delete history.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675