Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-03-2009 , 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Film Noir

So! I stumbled across this here scene that I had abandoned, the model was done by Greg Sandor, its from one of Jeremy Birn's Lighting challenges over on CGTalk, you were supposed to create a Film Noir look, the challenge is over, the thread is closed but I got caught up in this for about an hour and figured why not post it (The glow and grain is overkill I know lol, it was fun messing around with it though).

Didn't change anything about the models, no textures, plopped down a couple of reflective and incandescent shaders, everything else is default lambert. No GI, no FG, just a bunch of spot lights and area lights.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 2 27-03-2009 , 07:47 AM
Subscriber
when i saw the thread title i thought you meant the anime noir...

i didn't know that noir is an actual technique, but now i know...
google directed me to wiki

film noir (plural film noirs or films noirs)
A film / movie characterized by low-key lighting, a bleak urban setting, and corrupt, cynical or desperate characters.

i think you captured it quite well

i do wonder about the lights inside the building though... it might be because i dont know of this style but it looks like there is a lot of light inside...

i dunno... my lighting knowledge is quite small user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 27-03-2009 , 03:41 PM
it looks good - but i think the sky is way too dark - it just isn't that dark at night.

# 4 29-03-2009 , 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys user added image
Arran, I'm still twiddling with it, I wanted that "middle of nowhere" look, I did try a slightly brighter horizon and even some stars but I didn't keep those.

I did tone down the glow a bit though.

Colored version
user added image

And another B&W
user added image

- Genny